Desert Island Discs? Not quite...

Troy

31 Seconds
To pick one's top 10 favorite records of all time would be just too frustrating and nerve-fraying for most of us I suppose (what to leave off???), so I propose the following possibly more objective and maybe more insightful question...

What 10 CDs/LPs/Etc do you suppose you have listened to the MOST TIMES over the course of your life?

Though I'm a big Jazz and Techno fan these days, none of those made my list because I just don't play records over and over and over again like I did in my youth...

1) Fixx - Reach the Beach
2) Rush - Exit Stage Left
3) Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
4) Smiths - Meat is Murder
5) Cure - Happily Ever After
6) Beastie Boys - Liscensed to Ill
7) Loop - Gilded Eternity
8) Pixies - Doolittle
9) Ministry - Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
10 Skinny Puppy - VivisectIV

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Troy said:
What 10 CDs/LPs/Etc do you suppose you have listened to the MOST TIMES over the course of your life?

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Henry Cow - Legend
Pink Floyd - Animals
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Wire - Pink Flag
The Fall - Live at the Witch Trials
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Public Image Limited - Metal Box

maybe :)

bruno

est malade
frankie put a gun to his head...

01 suicide - suicide*
02 public enemy - it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
03 beastie boys - paul's boutique
04 gza - liquid swords*
05 joy division - unknown pleasures
06 aphex twin - selected ambient works 1
07 pink floyd - animals
08 mono junk - gloom
09 iggy and the stooges - raw power
10 basic channel cd and rhythm & sound cd, i can't decide

*played over and over and over obsessively

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I wish the iTunes play-count thing was accurate... then it'd be easy to see what one listens to the most. but things I just played this morning is not even registering a 1. maybe next update they'll get it right...

bruno

est malade
confucius said:
I wish the iTunes play-count thing was accurate... then it'd be easy to see what one listens to the most. but things I just played this morning is not even registering a 1. maybe next update they'll get it right...
get a last fm account, it's pretty accurate.

the problem with this thread is that most of us don't listen to albums anymore, my last fm list for example is completely different to the one i made above. so five years of intensive music listening aren't really taken into account.

Last edited:

OldRottenhat

If you're being completely honest, too, I bet your lists will skew towards the few albums you owned when you first became really obsessed with music. I doubt there are any albums I've listened to as much as Aqualung and Morrison Hotel which I used to have on one C-90 which I would flip over and over. There isn't a single album I've heard in the past year that in the rest of my entire life I will listen to as many times as I listened to Wish You Were Here when I was 16. And yet I haven't listened to any of those three in over a decade and the thought of listening to Script For A Jester's Tear makes my skin crawl....

henry s

Street Fighting Man
as much as I'd like to say Trout Mask Replica or Metal Box or Daydream Nation, the LP's (and I used to really listen to LP's, far more than CD's) in my collection most ground down are Agents Of Fortune (Blue Oyster Cult), Village Green Preservation Society (Kinks) and Love It To Death (Alice Cooper)...I listened to these three in my formative years far more than I will ever any current or future acquisition...(well, for starters, I had so much more time back then...)

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
in chronological order:

Bravo - Live in Moscow 1994
The Prodigy - Experience
Daft Punk - Homework
Platinum Breaks Volume 1 (CD1)
Distance to Goa 4
Richie Hawtin - DE9:Closer to the Edit
Lee Perry - Return of the Super Ape

Except for a brief period I never listened to CD's that much. I was always a radio/compilation tape/mp3 off the web kind of guy. Only the last CD here is one that I listened to when I had a big enough collection that I didn't have to return to some CD's over and over. Though I still like all of these.

Last edited:

worrior

I liked it when Jarvis Cocker chose the Theme from Robinson Crusoe on Desert Island Discs.

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
worrior said:
I like it when Jarvis Cocker when on Desert Island Discs he chose the Theme from Robinson Crusoe.

Vic Reeves was awesome...

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile
Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
Ella Fitzgerald - The Very Thought Of You
Henry Cow - Nirvana For Mice
Free - Mr Big
Aphex Twin - Bucephalus Bouncing Ball
Jeff Beck - Where Were You
Glen Tilbrook - Parallel World

:)

Rambler

Awanturnik
Complete guesses, mostly things I listened to obsessively as a kid, or are nice to have on at the weekend:

Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
Laser Guided Melodies - Spiritualized
Going Blank Again - Ride
Cole Porter Songbook - Ella Fitzgerald
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Bandwagonesque - Teenage Fanclub
String Quartet no.5 - Bela Bartok (recorded off the radio, don't know the performers)
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient vol.1
Live at the Hague vol.1 - IF
Missa Pange lingua - Josquin Desprez

slye

Allied Heights
u2 - achtung baby
radiohead - the bends
depeche mode - ultra
future sound of london - accelerator
tears for fears - the hurting
prodigy - experience
underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman
octave one - the living key (to images from above)
brian eno - apollo: atmospheres & soundtracks
steely dan - countdown to ecstasy

mostly stuff from jr. high and high school because they were early in the collection and were repeated quite often at the time :)

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Troy said:

Interesting selection. I'm just a bit curious as to why you would pick this album over stuff like Let it be or Tim (as in, why you would listen to this more frequently than the two I mentioned).

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
i don't know if i accurately do a top 10 w/o being at parent's house and going thru old mix tapes, b/c as many of you noted... the shit you listened to everyday when you were 16 is the stuff that's really in your head... i used to come home from the comic book store every sunday and stack records on my player (ouch) and sit and listen to records while reading comics for hours... records (and tapes) i listened to over and over was stuff like "magical mystery tour", the first clash record, "we sold our soul for rock and roll" by black sabbath, "singles going steady" by the buzzcocks,"fear of a black planet" by Public Enemy, "imagine" by john lennon, "second edition" by Pil, "toys in the attic" by aerosmith, "3 feet high and rising" by De La Soul, "Straight out of compton", "mothership connection" by parliament... but the record i listened to the most was Nevermind the Bollocks... i've probably heard it 1000x times...

oh and Bartok's String Quartet No. 5 is incredibly awesome... but, i don't think i heard it i was 18...

Lichen

Troy said:

This could well be on my list too, over and above Tim or Let it Be. I bought it when I was 15 and had no idea who The Replacements were. I loved it then and still love it now, so it's probably amongst my most played.

Others might include

Woodentops: Giant
Joni Mitchell: Blue
Buzzcocks: Love Bites
Richard and Linda Thompson: I wanna see the bright lights
Gun Club: Las Vegas Story
Diamond D etc.: Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop
Tribe Called Quest: Low End Theory
Joe Gibbs: Majestic Dub
Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street

Except for one or two they all have a common emotional vein, something like yearning I think. I think dub is like that too. It has a longing quality to it.

Last edited:

Moodles

A tricky question - I have to remember back to various times in my life and what albums I was obsessing over way back when.

When I was younger, teen and pre-teen, I obsessed much more over individual albums, now I'm much more all over the place.

So here goes:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
Duran Duran - Rio
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Talking Heads - Naked
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1 and 2 (actually lots of FZ records could probably make this list)
Rush - Moving Pictures
American Music Club - Mercury
Big Star - Third/Sister Lovers
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup

hamzen

Live Dead - Grateful Dead
Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxters
Jefferson Starship - Blows Against the Empire
David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name
Santana - Caravanserai
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Art Pepper - Blues For The Fisherman
Pat Metheny - 80/81
Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology
Lamb - What Sound
Youngsta - Dubstep Allstars 2

Listen to less new albums now, but cane them as much as I did when young

soundslike1981

Taking a guess:

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Arthur Russell - World of Echo
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
Bjork - Homogenic
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets, others
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Saka Acquaye - Voices of Africa
Steve Reich - Early Works
Toumani Diabate - New Ancient Strings
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Mortality
Family Fodder - Monkey Bannana Kitchen
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A'Changin
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Zombies - Zombies Heaven Disc 3
Charles Mingus - Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
The Meters - The Meters

Really, I don't listen to any one record on repeat very much, haven't in the last ten years. Some of the above make the list because they're "going to sleep" albums that I might listen to up to once a week. But mostly I've spent the last decade going everywhere at once, to where records I might say I "love" I've probably only heard 10-20 times in some cases.