kenyan hip hop

mms

sometimes
http://www.kiliochahaki.com/

looks interesting, or at least an addition to the 'when the third world gets urban' thing.
incidentally last year i went on a dive in the indian ocean and the kid on the island manning the gift shop was constanntly downloading stuff, his fave was eminem.

redcrescent

Cool, I happened to get an email about that the other day. Some Dutch folks that have a small studio in Nairobi and are releasing the music, right? Must get it.
I was looking for Plantashun Boyz and X Plastaz things recently and ran across Madunia, another Dutch site that also produces africanhiphop.com Perhaps you want to check those out. The latter site has a radio link, too, and the links section is pretty extensive.
From my limited knowledge, I guess up to now the focus was more on West Africa, especially Senegal/Mali/Gambia, there was a semi-influential (here, at least) compilation on Trikont called Africa Raps which is quite good, my personal favorite cut off that is Positive Black Soul's "Boul Ma Mine", which uses the irresistible groove from the Orchestre Baobab original. It's worth looking out for.
I've since then seen several Senegalese artists performing in Europe, Pee Froiss and the outstanding Magic System are here in Vienna quite regularly for some reason.

sufi

lala
as an adopted kenyan i should know much more about this...
i know a few diaspora rappers from kenya in London; these dudes wuz the flava a year or 2 back, based outa herne hill - social misfits

in kenya Kalamashaka were the biggest group i heard of with 1 or 2 albums out, tho this year kiliochahaki seem to be on the ascendant...the suburbs are killing us has an entry about them, tho i couldn't seem to get any mp3s off that site?

anyway, i can ask me kids for more info as they have many cassettes!

for senegalese hiphop my man mattgy's yer man, like!