Public Enemy Sax Sample

slye

Allied Heights
Ok this is sort of a roundabout/dumb post but this has been bugging me for a long time.

There is this incredible moody sax sample in "Show 'Em What You Got" by Public Enemy that loops for the duration of the tune, and this same sample was also used in some midperiod hiphop tune that I remember hearing during the second half of 1992 and thought was great at the time but never was able to ID.

Does anyone know the song that this sample derives from (I think it may be a jazz tune of some sort) and/or another song that utilized this sample back in the day? I'd really be interested in checking out either of these, actually.

I'm not sure if sample questions belong on this forum (I'm really sorry if not), but if anyone could shed some light on any of this I'd really appreciate it. :)

bruno

est malade
it's from the intro to 'darkest light' by the lafayette afro rock band, off their 'malik' album, 1972.

so moody, and combined with that speech sample.. that tune defines militant. now where is my cd..

slye

Allied Heights
bruno said:
it's from the intro to 'darkest light' by the lafayette afro rock band, off their 'malik' album, 1972.

so moody, and combined with that speech sample.. that tune defines militant. now where is my cd..

Thanks for the tip bruno, I will be checking these guys out.

milkandhoney said:
this site is excellent if there's any other samples you wana know

Thanks for the link. I've just been browsing and already found some good ones.

Tomtefar said:
And on "Rump Shaker", obviously.

Checked this out and believe it or not, this was the rap song I was talking about. Didn't realize this song was so.... dirty! :eek: amazing what goes over your head in elementary school, and yet it's totally obvious. haha