Can anyone rap?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I was thinking about this today. I listen to lots of hip hop and grime but if I try to rap I sound at best something like Roland Rat on 'rat rappin'.

It seems to be something that only da yout can master - anyone beg to differ?

Diaz

i totally thought this was going to be a thread blasting the entirety of rap music and rappers for even trying.

i freestyled something some people found decent once but i was really drunk and i came up after a white virginian military officer, so basically no.

i'd say there's gotta be someone, but neither british people nor american indie kids can rap, and i'm not even sure the fogies who hang out in the politics/thought forums are familiar with the rap music [/ducks to avoid repercussions of perilious ironic generalization]

edit: i should add something to this...um, i've always been totally blown away the ability of rappers to set up punchlines/hits well in advance. it takes me so long just to listen to the words and get it that i'm in awe of some duder/dudette who can give me something like RZA's 'protons electrons always cause explosions' (p e a c e] at the end of 4th chamber.

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
poison dart: You being an MC makes a lot of the stuff you have been saying dissing different things make much more sense. It's all becoming clear... I'm much more inclined to accept a lot of this temple of hiphop type of rhetoric, dissing crunk etc from someone who's an east coast MC. It's good because I feel I no longer need to waste time arguing with you next time you make some other broad statement dissing something I like. It's what rappers do! :)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
And yes, rapping is hard. And if your white, chances are you have a voice (like me) that will NEVER sound good on a rap record. I wish I could though, would make my life as a producer SO MUCH EASIER. That's one thing I really envy about people like Jammer, JME, Skepta etc. Produce the beat, vocal it, bang, finished product.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Sad but true!

SIZZLE said:
poison dart: You being an MC makes a lot of the stuff you have been saying dissing different things make much more sense. It's all becoming clear... I'm much more inclined to accept a lot of this temple of hiphop type of rhetoric, dissing crunk etc from someone who's an east coast MC. It's good because I feel I no longer need to waste time arguing with you next time you make some other broad statement dissing something I like. It's what rappers do! :)

You hit the nail right on the head! If you left me in a room with David Banner, Luther Campbell, Bun B and Mannie Fresh all I'd have to say is leave the tape recorder and camera ROLLING! Some interesting shit is going to happen...Am I wrong in a lot of the things I say about Southern rap, Crunk or Snap Music? Probably. Am I OVERLY CRITICAL of them? YES, but from my perspective and upbringing in hip hop culture it's understandable and MORE than justified. One.

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Poisonous Dart said:
Sounds like random passages from a science fiction novel being read over some trippy ass beats...this could easily be the score for "A Scanner Darkly"...I wouldn't categorize that as "Rap", though. One.

That seals it, you must be the only. One.