Kompa, Afro 70s Dance Pop, etc.

zhao

there are no accidents
if people are posting about the bloody smiths this blog deserves a mention:

http://permanentcondition.blogspot.com/

out of print or simply not available modern African and related music.

check out this Haitian master Coupé Cloué:

http://permanentcondition.blogspot.com/2005/08/coup-clou-et-lensemble-select-sciss.html

I've downloaded EVERYTHING on this site and just going through it... amazing stuff. my trouble with Fela has always been the freak-out aspect - too loud, too fast - a lot of these artists are more mellow, psychedelic without knowing it, more melodically inventive and more... pop (for lack of better).

entire area I knew nothing about until I met this girl last week who told me about Kompa, a form of Haitian / Caribean music, and a few days later I stumble upon this blog. synchronic!

bruno

est malade
funny, my brother was just here going on about the lijadu sisters, and there they are on that blog! too bad it's all rapidshare, nasty wait time between downloads.

zhao

there are no accidents
bruno said:
nasty wait time between downloads.

ah! but no, my good man, contrary to what they would have you believe - you do NOT need to suffer the 70 minute wait between downloads... just simply disconnect from the internet and reconnect! that way a new IP address is asigned to you and the big, thick rapidshare robot thinks you are someone else downloading for the first time!

the Lijadu Sisters are by far not my favorite things from this site... but that's a double synchonetique!

bruno

est malade
confucius said:
ah! but no, my good man, contrary to what they would have you believe - you do NOT need to suffer the 70 minute wait between downloads... just simply disconnect from the internet and reconnect! that way a new IP address is asigned to you and the big, thick rapidshare robot thinks you are someone else downloading for the first time!

the Lijadu Sisters are by far not my favorite things from this site... but that's a double synchonetique!
true!

i've heard that one tune on the nigeria 70 comp and it was nice. but it's my brother who's keen on africa, i'm in the dark except for the odd group here and there. i saw part of the documentary the blog mentions and they're very cute as well (the lijadu sisters). which seems to be the case with a lot of people in nigeria.

unfortunately i have a fixed ip, our router is configured that way. so i'm fucked. but thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
O

Omaar

Just downloaded the lijadu sisters stuff, and having a quick listen - sounds brilliant so far - exactly what I've been on the lookout for . Thanks very much for the link - the rest of the stuff around there looks ace too. :)

Maybe you can connect to rapidshare using a proxy of some sort to change your ip address.