Ligeti Requiem - recording used on 2001

Rambler

Awanturnik
Hope you don't mind the plea for help - this one is for the record collectors. If anyone reading can help with information I'll be hugely grateful

I'm in the middle of writing draft 0.1 for the Ligeti Requiem chapter of my thesis, and I've hit a minor snag. I'm trying to track down the recording of Ligeti's Requiem that Stanley Kubrick uses in 2001. According to every source I can find (including the film credits and the soundtrack LP itself) this is from a recording by the Bavarian Radio Orchestra (and Chorus, although bizarrely they don't always get the credit) conducted by Francis Travis. Now, I'm well aware of the Wergo recording (the first recording) with the Bavarian Radio Chorus, the Hessisches Radio SO and Michael Gielen conducting (I've got this one); but I can't find any reference to the Travis recording from which Kubrick took his soundtrack. (As well as the Requiem, I believe Atmospheres comes from the same recording.)

Does anyone know anything about this recording? Google, Discogs and Gemm are all throwing up nothing, as are the discographies at the back of Steinitz and Griffiths' books on Ligeti, and I'm a bit stuck. If you can give me a label, or some other bit of info to help find it, that would be a massive help - I'm really keen to find this.

Thanks in advance.

(Obviously I don't mean any of the soundtrack albums, I'm after the original recording that Kubrick himself used)

zhao

there are no accidents
you sure it's called Requiem? might be my mistake but I thought it was a different piece... anyhow I would guess that it is on one of the Legeti editions CD's because it's a famous piece.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Yeah, it's the Kyrie from the Requiem (although it's usually just credited as 'Requiem'). Kubrick also uses Atmospheres, Lux aeterna and a bit from Aventures treated electronically near the end (this last isn't credited in the film). Certainly it's a famous piece, and I've got two version of it in my collection, but this Francis Travis recording eludes me.

Sony's 'Ligeti Edition' didn't get as far as recording the Requiem - Sony canned the project to record Ligeti's complete works halfway through - but Teldec picked up the baton, called it the 'Ligeti Project', and the Requiem appears on vol.4 of that (Teldec 8573-88263-2) conducted by Jonathon Nott.

zhao

there are no accidents
Rambler said:
also uses Atmospheres, Lux aeterna

I had thought these were the main ones. sorry can't be of help...

your blog looks ace!

what does "choons" mean?

someone was recently saying that the worst fate an artist can suffer is dangerously close to falling upon Saariaho - that of becoming a paper cut-out cartoon caricature of his/her self. that of their style becoming mere style, a set of cliches to be used without thought or innovation (like Phillip Glass).

but they might have been saying this in reference to a live concert... I'm curious to hear this new record.