hybrid nights pt 2

petergunn

plywood violin
was thinking about the discussion here about hybrid nights ("the diplo effect", as someone called it) and i was thinking about some other points... like, most nights are hybrid nights... for example, if you go the Eskimo Dance, they only play like an hour or two of grime, and this is the Eskimo Dance, THE grime night... or, if you go to philly or baltimore to hear baltimore breaks, they usually don't play it all night, just in half hour sets to hype up the crowd, w/ the rest of the night being hip hop and r&b... w/ that in mind, the hybrid approach doesn't seem so silly...

tate

Brown Sugar
but there's a difference between hybridity across the night (different djs playing different styles at the same event, obv nothing new there) and hybridity in the same set , i.e., the 'diplo effect'

petergunn

plywood violin
Tate said:
but there's a difference between hybridity across the night (different djs playing different styles at the same event, obv nothing new there) and hybridity in the same set , i.e., the 'diplo effect'

yeah, but when you go to a club night in philly, it's not like some other DJ jumps on stage to play b-more breaks for 20 minutes, it's the same guy who was playing hip hop before...

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Just a quick note, I'd say that the DJ playing the same style of music for an hour is probably a newer thing than DJs playing all kinds of records. Look at Bambataa, Herc and the hiphop originators. They couldn't play an hour of hiphop because it didn't exist, so they had to cobble together something that most nearly resembled what they wanted. Diplo very much did not invent this style. I think /Rupture even went on record (cd) with it before Diplo did with his Gold Teeth Thief mixCD.