New futurism community DIE PUNY HUMANS

polystyle

Hmm, it may be - or not .
Once you encounter the sign in that tells you one may be able to get in - or not
lost interest already .
Warren Ellis ? doesn't ring any bells , please clue us

adruu

This Is It
edits boingboing, sf writer, i think...this looks interesting though, like a chatterbox for the nettime crowd

Don Rosco

polystyle desu said:
Hmm, it may be - or not .
Once you encounter the sign in that tells you one may be able to get in - or not
lost interest already .
Warren Ellis ? doesn't ring any bells , please clue us

Yeah, it is a bit off-putting, but I think the intention is just to keep the signal-to-noise ratio to an acceptable level, and it seems to be working quite well. I registered and was able to post straight away, so they're not really checking 'Applications' as it were.

adruu said:
edits boingboing, sf writer, i think...this looks interesting though, like a chatterbox for the nettime crowd

I think that may be a different Warren Ellis? This one writes comics, mostly, alongside his internet meanderings. And he lives in Southend, near London.

Oh, wait sf=Science Fiction, not San Francisco? Oops!

neupunk

I think adruu is thinking of Cory Doctorow. Ellis is probably most famous for his comic series Transmetropolitan that ran for five years. He's been know to advocate more independent, mainstream comics that delve into topics outside of the superhero genre -- right before he went back to work for Marvel doing men wearing spandex again. Caustic, cynical futurism and technology; his own work is right up the sex, drugs, and cybernetics alley when he's not doing secret agent/horror stuff.

He has a reasonably large online fanbase. I'd imagine they are going to be the prevalent voices on the new site, not so much the actual technologists and academics. That doesn't mean that there won't be some good speculation and conversation, only that I hold different expectations.

adruu

This Is It
sorry...your right...whats worse is i've got every issue of transmetropolitan on the hard drive too...

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
'Global Frequency' is the best thing he's done in ages, although it is basically just a comic-book adaptation of his weblog (with guns).