TV on the Radio

tryptych

waiting for a time
Saw they got a couple of mentions on the "new isht" thread. I just got hold of a promo of the new album, and it's sounding pretty good so far.

What's the dissensus on them?

shudder

it took me a long time to see what all the fuss was about with the Young Liars EP... But it really does have something of a unique sensibility, one that grows more compelling after a bunch of listens.

I've heard one song of the new album, "I Was a Lover", linked from /rupture's blog, and I think it frickin' great. The horn sample that makes up most of the harmony could be straight from a dubstep atmospheric-y track too... or at least, it would sound cool in one.

shudder

oh, and the back-and-forth rhythm between the horn sample and the guitarish sounding distorted sound is great.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah big co-sign on I Was A Lover, I really want to hear a subbed up remix of this, might have to do myself.

And they're track Staring At The Sun is pretty incredible as well. Not feeling everything by a long shot but those two tunes are definitely working, and yeah bigup /rupcha, he put me onto them as well.

gumdrops

i really really love the young liars ep and about 3/4 of the desperate youth album (their cover of the YYY's modern romance is excellent too), but the new album thats leaked isnt as interesting IMHO (supposedly its not the finished thing though, the real album doesnt come out til june or so). they seem to have gone for more of a normal live band sound (well normal for them) this time, which for me at least, isnt really what i liked about TVOTR. i liked the fact their records sounded like studio creations, or at least, more electronic.

gumdrops

yeah, i hope they rejig the album cos this leaked version makes them sound dissapointingly conventional

I think it may sound like 'recouping your advance' or

'deciding to actually make some money out of this' lol....btw I ain't heard it - jus cracking a quick one...

gumdrops said:
yeah, i hope they rejig the album cos this leaked version makes them sound dissapointingly conventional

gumdrops

well theyre on interscope now arent they, so maybe they made this album to please/show potential majors that they were willing to play the game.

tryptych

waiting for a time
gumdrops said:
well theyre on interscope now arent they, so maybe they made this album to please/show potential majors that they were willing to play the game.

Not that I'm aware of. I heard an official album promo, so I wonder how it differs from this leaked version - it doesn't sound too much like a live band tho, plenty of studio stuff going on - will have to check it out again.

gumdrops

im surprised theyre not more popular on dissensus. the new album takes a while to grow on you, but even then, its not patch on what theyve done before. its not a commercial album by any means, its kind of in between going a bit more conventional, and trying to keep what their identity rests on, which is a bit of a tricky thing to balance, and im not sure theyve really done it, but its still braver than sounding like the editors i suppose.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Loved the modernism of the first album (even if not entirely successful- ie muddily engineered) it seemed as if they were bursting at the seams with ideas and interesting directions in which to take art rock... (ie an electronics led, distorted bass and primitive R'n'B Afro-shoegaze-doo-wop one!) not heard the new one but the reports at ILM were that it lost all the perverse electronics and replaced it with a (yawn) full band mode... is the new one out actually yet?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i've given their album a few listens and i like it but it's hard to explain why.
i think it's the guys casual sounding voice and the way the phrasing of the music sounds like its been punched in on an mpc, 'i was a lover' is still the best track, sounding like a modern budget prince, i wouldnt call the album shiny though, it's still a bit grey, but they are fresh.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i think they're one of the best bands in nyc (and probably anywhere else, too)

haven't heard their new material, though

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Have spent a month or so listening to this constantly and I'm now convinced that it's the album of the year (and maybe the rock album of the decade).

swears

preppy-kei
Never heard 'em, recommend me a couple of tunes, please.
Since they are the one last truly awesome rock band, apparently.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
My favourite tracks are 'Staring at the Sun' off the old album and 'Hours' off the new one.

swears

preppy-kei
My favourite tracks are 'Staring at the Sun' off the old album and 'Hours' off the new one.

Okay. Soulseeked and listened.
They really sound like Peter Gabriel, which is more original than sounding like The Stooges or something, I suppose. Yeah, I mean it's the sort of music where I can say "This isn't reprehensible overhyped garbage, and I can see the merit in it, but I have no interest in ever listening to it ever again.":slanted:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Best band in NYC? I like TVOTR, but Gang Gang Dance and Battles utterly utterly beast them. Especially live... And the new album... hmm- well they are still interesting, but too much of it edges towards the generic, only really lifting off when they hit massive vocal harmony paydirt or attempt primitive shoegaze R'n'B-- the introduction of live bassist and drummer has meant them losing a lot of what made them interesting (but not great) before, and a certain creeping banality has left them seeming a little too 80s post punk at times...

Last edited: