rhythm and sound, burial mix, wackies cheap(ish)

3underscore

Oh dear.

That is going to prove very expensive for me, and I already have most the Burial Mix, all the Maurizio and Basic Channel.

Can't really recommend any above any other. What's a couple of hundred quid, eh?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i might catch up on the few wackies releases i've missed*

*vinyl only, obviously

and for 'few', you could use 'loads'

Last edited:

Woebot

cor that looks great.

the thing about that stuff is you can never have too much of it

though:

M6, M7, M8
tikiman: never tell
mango drive (wheres the original of this on that list?)
basic channell octagon
is it the lyot remix that has the big spacey bside without any drums? black label

bruno

est malade
woebot, the original of mango drive is on the flipside. and yes the lyot remix is the spacey one, the best basic channel tune ever imo!

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
bruno said:
that's boomkat hyperbole right there!
Not really - it doesn't have a one or two word exhortation at the end. To be a proper Boomkat hyperbola, it would have been
"Boomkat is hands down the best internet music store to walk the earth. Go there!"
or
"Boomkat is hands down the best internet music store to walk the earth. Essential!"

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I would also get Basic Channel 6 (Quadrant Dub) and as for the Burial Mixes "Jah Rule" is my fave (they are all mostly interchangeable).

my fave Wackies (that I've heard):
Leroy Sibbles - This World is a mighty tune. I think "The World" is a version?
Junior Delahaye - Movie Show is sweetness.

vache

DigitalDjigit said:
I would also get Basic Channel 6 (Quadrant Dub) and as for the Burial Mixes "Jah Rule" is my fave (they are all mostly interchangeable).

my fave Wackies (that I've heard):
Leroy Sibbles - This World is a mighty tune. I think "The World" is a version?
Junior Delahaye - Movie Show is sweetness.

Many of the Wackies records are really excellent. My favorite though is Horace Andy's "Dance Hall Style." Really incredible.

shudder

so... I have the rhythm & sound "for the artists", which I love... but I've never quite understood what Basic Channel was properly.. It's clearly a label/cluster of labels. Is it also a production team or something? I always associated the name "Basic Channel" with dubbed-out techno-y, but that could be just straight outta my ass...

nochexxx

harco pronting
3underscore said:
Oh dear.

That is going to prove very expensive for me, and I already have most the Burial Mix, all the Maurizio and Basic Channel.
Can't really recommend any above any other. What's a couple of hundred quid, eh?

i feel your pain man, i've ordered a load of these 12'ves and felt more than a little guilty when i saw the total cost. i need to sort out my record buying addicton. to make matters worse i have an ebay monkey that constantly sniggers and pokes me in the ribs, whilst laughing and reminding me of end-bidding times.

vache

shudder said:
so... I have the rhythm & sound "for the artists", which I love... but I've never quite understood what Basic Channel was properly.. It's clearly a label/cluster of labels. Is it also a production team or something? I always associated the name "Basic Channel" with dubbed-out techno-y, but that could be just straight outta my ass...

Basic Channel was the name of the label and the name of the artist on two eps on the label. All of the artists on the label, Cyrus, Phylyps, etc. (with the exception of Vainqeuer) are all the same producers: Mark Ernestus and Moritz Von Oswald.

The whole discographic lowdown:http://www.discogs.com/label/Basic+Channel

Don Rosco

Scion & Tikiman, Basic Channel set That's a link to a live set by Scion (associates of BC) playing Basic Channel stuff through Ableton Live, with Tikiman on the mic. I recorded it in Dublin, open air, in the rain, for the DEAF festival. I have absolutely no permission to share, but it's too good not to*. Try to imagine an hour long live Burial Mix, with extra urgency. Amazing, amazing stuff. Good quality, too, right from the desk :D

PLEASE don't link to it elsewhere. Thanks!

*I'd be happy to take it down if there's any objections on that count.

childrentalking

picked up Octagon/Octaedre in this sale... having only heard the BC CD before.

oh my god, Octaedre might just be the perfect music. any suggestions where I should go from here? doesn't seem like the other BC 12's sound like this. how about the Maurizio ones? again, I've only heard the CD there -- which underwhelmed me. have a feeling that's more to do with 70 uninterupted minutes of M at once than the tracks themselves though. M5, M6, M7 you say?

shit. need a few of the Wackies LPs too. abject poverty, here I come.

OldRottenhat

Does anyone know if the reissue of the Basic Channel and Maurizio cds means that they will also be reissuing the Chain Reaction cds at some point? Would love to pick up the Porter Ricks and Monolake discs in particular.