Boys or Girls?

IdleRich

IdleRich
That "Hot Old Skool Babe" thing reminded me of something that I often think on Dissensus. It's hard to tell with the nicknames and everything but I really get the impression that the overwhelming majority of people who post on here are male. Am I right? If so why? Or am I wrong - perhaps there are loads of women but I can't think of any obviously female names - if so please disabuse me and I'll shut up.

D

droid

I dunno. Theres Infinite Thought, Ripley, Soundslike1981, Robin, &catherine (I assume) and probably a few others that i know of.

Like the vast majority of users here, they just dont post very often..

owen

didn't dharry out herself as differently chromosomed recently?

but generally with dissensus you can almost smell the maleness...this is why i have marlene as the pic to try and offset that a bit (as obv i have the simultaneous blessing and curse of external reproductive organs) :p

nomos

Administrator
we really ought to take that 'no girls allowed' sign off the front door. trade it for 'ladies free until midnight.'

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
am female, but don't feel any particular need to advertise it- it usually transpires soon enough anyway. (or when you start "remembering" the regulars etc.)

for some reason i agree with the "male" feel of these boards, might just be the old "dark and edgy" background style, though... ;)

nomos

Administrator
arcaNa said:
might just be the old "dark and edgy" background style, though...
try the 'nick(s)kin' forum skin in your preferences. it makes a world of difference moodwise. doesn't really alter the gender thing though. would be a cool button if it did :eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
wow, didn't know Infinite, Dharry, and others were girls. I just assumed it was a big-o sausage fest.

owen said:
i have marlene as the pic

and my avatar looks like an abstracted Venus of Willendorf type female body... see it? no? look closer. yeah. it's there.

Last edited:
I generally don't think that sex difference is particularly interesting. Things like truth, politics, beauty interest me more, if one can say that without getting a slap for being pretentious!

On the other hand, in certain things I do (work in a philosophy department in which I am the only female PhD student out of about 20 total) I do increasingly want there to be more women around. Not because I think they'll have a specific effect, one way or another, but partly just because it seems weird to always be the odd one out and for the situation to be so unbalanced (just why don't more women do philosophy anyway? Are they all off doing better-paid things?! Hmmm).

But I would say that I am more of a bad cliche of a 'man' than most of my male friends! Belligerent, insulting, often drunk, horribly objectifying towards other women, etc. So, er, yeah. It's complicated.

The thing about discussion boards that I like gender-wise is that it destroys the myth that it's women who have a tendency to whitter on endlessly about this and that and that men are surly and non-communicative. Does the internet feminise discussion, or are we all now slaves to the regime of information-circulation anyway? which would either make capitalism feminised, or mean that the original stereotype was wrong...

zhao

there are no accidents
infinite thought said:
The thing about discussion boards that I like gender-wise is that it destroys the myth that it's women who have a tendency to whitter on endlessly about this and that and that men are surly and non-communicative.

this is true in the sense of the social cliche - that men do not talk about their FEELINGS, while woman are more communicative of theirs.

but there is a strong arguement that language, as an instrument of power (of segregation, of subjugation, control and domination), in the form of utterances or the type written word, traditonally, and some would argue since the beginning, has been the domain of the patriarchy.

it is the subject of this book, which I've heard many good things about, and can't wait to read:

luka

It's never bothered me that dissensus is a boys only concern but it is interesting. I don't know why exactly. I love music has plenty of girls. It's not like girls don't like music or talking. I guess they just don't like us, which is fair enough and also why I'm not inclined to worry about it.