The Red Hot Chilli Peppers thread (not much love to be found here)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I just heard their new single. You know why I fucking hate these pricks. They have been writing the same fucking song with the same fucking sound for the last 10 years. That fucking 'clean' shit guitar sound with Fleas fucking stupid bass and that Antony Kiedis yowling like a Dog waiting to be shot. Flea should be called fucken 'Louse'.

They never got over the death of guitar-genius Hillel Slovak, and despite getting close to what they could been in bits of 'Blood sugar Sex Magic', have been not just flogging, but fucking, raping, sodomizing, vomiting on, shooting up with a dead horse for a long time, and the reatrdo masses keep buying their shit. Horrible, horrible music.

yeah I'll cosign that...

...and say that theyre even worse live

worked 3 gigs for them over the years here in NZ and each time they just seem more and more of a pisstake of what they used to be but...

...as far as i was concerned they was all tatoos and hair

shit in, shit out...

shudder

I remember they played a free show in toronto when I was in high school.. I didn't go, but they broadcast bits of it on TV. Kiedis was a godawful live singer. He couldn't even barely approximate the melodies of the songs (and it did seem like he was trying!).

(though I must admit that I played an ill-advised cover version of "The Other Side" in a terrible band in high school, mainly as an appeasement to one of the other people in the band.)

ripley

yeah. a song called "sexy mexican maid" just confirmed my impresion of arrogant california jock/whiteboys. vile!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
HELL_SD said:
...as far as i was concerned they was all tatoos and hair

shit in, shit out...

The Louse is a baldy. they should be fucken killed. seriously, let out some nut-case junkies and shoot the fucken bastards.

Their music approximates one thing - rectal cramps after drinking coffee when you have haemoroids.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Heard the new single today. I thought it was pretty good. Nothing I'm about to buy, but I'll leave it on the radio.

Woebot

hmmm. i was going to write something on the blog about this.

i saw them aaaaages ago in camden with world dom supporting and went backstage and said hello to flea and kleidis. i bought the uplift mofo party plan the day it came out and i had a rhcp stencil i painted on the back of my jacket. so i used to like them.

i know reynolds thinks kleidis voice is the worst thing ever in rock, but blood sugar sex magick was an awesome lp (their first awesome lp)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers#Blood_Sugar_Sex_Magik_.281990-1992.29

i saw that song on mtv and buick is right on that count, its utter shit (terrible video by tony kaye) but that the lp is produced by rick rubin, well so was BSSM so actually i'm curious to hear it.

rhcp have some serious hipster credentials. flea was in fear and the drummer played on captain beefheart's ice cream for crow (hows that for avant-funk cred?!?) also i've always been intrigued by the tortured frusciante.

so there!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I suspect all of them bar the drummer are perfectly entertaining and humane as people, and undoubtedly they have reasonable tastes in music themselves, however it remains to be said that their output is largely horrible. Those uber-nasal vox are point one, but equally their albums are horrifically dull- so lacking in variation, and yes, as mentioned upthread, that endless clean guitar tone. Frusciante is repped as being some kind of overlord on the six string, but asides from some nimble-noodle detailing the most avant garde he gets is plugging in a delay pedal. whoo. The only bits which are in any way listenable are the punk/funk bits (which still sound pretty wrote and second hand, obviously). And so many people appear to enjoy their music, which means that it is omnipresent for a good year after they release an album. Altho I guess the insipid nature of it makes it pretty easy to ignore.

ripley

gek-opel said:
I suspect all of them bar the drummer are perfectly entertaining and humane as people, /QUOTE]

What on earth would lead you to suspect that? have you read their lyrics? or read interviews? or seen them interact with fans?

Red Hot Chilli Peppers is an anagram of Chirped shit-leer pop, and also of Crippled Hitler hopes. Doesn't say it all, but it says a lot. Being an anagram of 'Headfirst rocket sled ride into a lake of shit and gravel' would say it all.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
That comment was based specifically on interviews I have read. Of course I should've said that all bar the drummer have been reported as being... blah blah blah. Or possibly it was simply the fact the drummer seemed like a frat-house bore, but the rest seemed quite far from that.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i met frushante once at all tomorrows parties, he was introduced to me by a girl i know who makes it her duty to get to know famousish people - he seemed to be a nice man, *eed up and raving to aphex with his mate from becks group on the down lo.

Their music is horrible though, really lumpen showoffy unfunk with kedis ridiculous voice over the top, big with surfers so throughout my 6th form period blood sugar was the theme to many a jockish attempt to drown in dutch courage by boys who knew what they wanted to do with their bodies but not how to negotiate this wish. This was whilst i was bored.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
do not forget that RHCP were somewhat responsible for the abomination that was Living Colour... :mad:

and that new video: I am soo sick of the whole "bands of yore" conceit...it was funny and fresh when Nirvana did it, but now it's just another tired convention...