colbert roasts bush - required viewing

shudder

Stephen Colbert (fake news anchor in the style of Fox News' Bill O'Reilley, etc.) just massacres Bush at the annual White House Correspondents Dinner. wow.

video here and transcript here

also a brilliant excoriation of the u.s. press

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
ofcourse only the court jester is allowed to get away with making remarks that bear any semblance of truth

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Just read the transcript- ignorance of view from the UK: Did he actually say this in front of Bush??? Genius if so.

nomos

Administrator
Bush was sitting just two chairs over trying to look like he thought it was funny/got it. Interesting how much of the press corps were outwardly put off by the jokes. Lots of non-laughers and sidelong "this isn't right" glances. He took a deep swipe at John McCain too.

sherief

Generic Human
This was truly the ballsiest thing I've seen in years. Bush was indeed no more than 5 feet away and Colbert went on for at least 15 minutes. I don't think this President has ever had this much sustained criticism. I watched it with a friend and we both ended up turning to each other after it was over and asking "They're going to have him killed, right? I mean, they can't allow that, can they?" Best TV of the past 6 years and it was on CSPAN. Go figure

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Conservative media spin: Bush was the funny one, and Colbert fell flat. Also, some go as far to say that he was way outta line, and that this wasnt suppose to be aplace to attack your enemies, but only roast your friends.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read the transcript and there were some fairly funny jokes in there but when you see the actual performance it wasn't at all well delivered and didn't make me laugh. Maybe it was because the audience wasn't exactly receptive but watching that it looked to me as though he died. On the other hand I have to admire him having such a blatant go at Bush right in front of his face - it's just a shame it wasn't done with a bit more wit.

zhao

there are no accidents
IdleRich said:
it wasn't at all well delivered and didn't make me laugh. On the other hand I have to admire him having such a blatant go at Bush right in front of his face

0.2% of the shocking greatness of this episode was accountable by Colbert's wit or delivery as a comedian. and 99.8% of what made it totally fucking awesome was his courage and audacity as a public speaker/political commentator.

ripley

I was falling over laughing. And his delivery didn't prevent that - and probably enhanced it by being so deadpan. But it was really the words, and the situation that brought it up to another level.

come on.. Washington DC - the Chocolate City, with the Marshmallow Center, and a graham cracker crust of corruption? delivered to that crowd ? funny.

but I do agree that part of the rush was knowing who his audience is, and that 90% of what he said is just true but none of them have the guts to say it.

adruu

This Is It
was joe wilson really there? my video was choppy.

i bet colbert was having drinks with tony snow right after this.

shudder

luka: you do get that that's his shtick, right? I think his style and delivery make a lot more sense when you've actually watched the ridiculous shit he's lampooning... and the audience reaction was exactly apt, since he made everyone in the audience squirm like they should...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"And his delivery didn't prevent that - and probably enhanced it by being so deadpan"
I don't think he was deadpan. He left pauses for laughs that didn't arrive, how is that deadpan? Plus he cocked up one of the jokes and then said it again looking fairly uncomfortable all the while.

nomos

Administrator
shudder said:
luka: you do get that that's his shtick, right? I think his style and delivery make a lot more sense when you've actually watched the ridiculous shit he's lampooning... and the audience reaction was exactly apt, since he made everyone in the audience squirm like they should...
yeah i think it hinges on everyday exposuire to particular north american stuff. even in canada it's easy not to really get where he's coming from because we don't get fox news and the o'reilly factor (at least not on regular cable). his whole schtick has to to with him caricaturing o'reilly every day in the same timeslot. i usually find him less amusing than jon stewart because his whole show is about being in that character, but seeing him confront the washington press corps and the president with their own bullshit like that really was on another level.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
it reminded me of one of those lock the doors and turn up the heat events that dadaists are supposed to have staged.

Last edited:

luka

yeah,maybe i don't get it. i've seen fox news and o'reillys slot on it though. my dads got sky.i watch it round there. i just thought the boys not cut out to be a performer. thats all. i felt embaressed for him. he was awful.