great unlikely collaborations

zhao

there are no accidents
Stereolab and Nurse With Wound.

listening for first time now. just brilliant. wonder what the story is behind these 2 EPs?

can't think of other significant examples off the top... that Plaid track with Bjork... obviously Eno and Burne... Conrad and Faust...

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Johnny Cash and Rick Rubin

Country purists may not like that record they did together (I don't know if they do or not), but I enjoyed it very much. Especially his cover of 'Hurt', a great example of how someone can make a song way better than it was ever destined to be.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I quite like the Scritti/Shabba Ranks team-up on "She's A Woman", and there you get an unlikely cover too...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
SIZZLE said:
Johnny Cash and Rick Rubin

Country purists may not like that record they did together (I don't know if they do or not), but I enjoyed it very much.

Werent there multiple records? I only really heard the first one but there were more on American and I thoght Rubin did them all. was that wrong?

Especially his cover of 'Hurt', a great example of how someone can make a song way better than it was ever destined to be.

To be very picky: is this possible? After all, if Cash covered it, it must have been destined to be covered ... ??? :)

zhao

there are no accidents
Evan Parker and Sainkho Namchylak - Mars Song
as uncompromising a transcendental experience as recorded sound can be.

Ryuchi Sakomoto and Alva Noto
Sakomoto's piano is a bit on the sentimental side but paired with the ascetic clicks n bass is very nice.

Pan Sonic with Alan Vega of Suicide
Elvis come back to life as a demon strung out on junk, backed by the menacing electro pure tones and beats of those crazy Finns? HELL yes. anyone else heard the new one with the horses on the cover? wicked.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
a few collaborations that sound good on paper, but producing dissapointing to awful results:

Jan Jelinek with Trisk.

any collab involving Bill Laswell or Dj Spooky.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
obvious to the point of being trite:

Run DMC and Aerosmith...yet you can't underrate this on any front: sonic, cultural or political...

viktorvaughn

I read in the paper last week about Will Self doing a track with somebody in the mid-90's! Can't remember who it was, but he was basically intoning some montone cynical whimsy over some beats as far as i could gather.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That was Bomb The Bass wasn't it? I think it was from a short story called Scale which was about a guy who injects heroin recovered from some kind of chalk solution with the effect that his veins start becoming solid chalk lines sticking through the skin. I can't remember if the song was any good at all which probably means that it wasn't.

viktorvaughn

IdleRich said:
That was Bomb The Bass wasn't it? I think it was from a short story called Scale which was about a guy who injects heroin recovered from some kind of chalk solution with the effect that his veins start becoming solid chalk lines sticking through the skin. I can't remember if the song was any good at all which probably means that it wasn't.

Yeah, Bomb the Bass, thats it! Would like to hear it.

zhao

there are no accidents
UFO over easy said:
What did you find disappointing about this? I liked it :)

having heard a few absolutely wicked jazz/micro-dance fusions (2 tracks of which can be heard here - http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3698 ), with saxophones organically interweaving through the textures and rhythm, I found the Jelinek / Triosk thing incredibly dull. the absence of any kind of reeds action was a total let down, but more than that, the music was just bland and uninteresting to these ears. funny because Jan has never really let me down before this, and I tried to like it on several different occasions, over a period of 3 to 6 months, before giving up.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
You probably just don't like Triosk then... Jelinek's input is fairly hard to discern on that record, especially having heard Triosk's own LP, which is extremely similar to this one. If anything, the micro influence is more obvious on their solo album. Bit weird that.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
IdleRich said:
I think it's pretty decent, but it's just Will Self reading the excerpt in his super deep voice over fairly typical Bomb The Bass beats from that era.

It's called '8mm Barrel' and it's on an album called 'Clear' which I'm sure is coming to a sales bin near you. :D I actually think it's worth picking up for the tunes with the reggae vox, e.g. 'Darkheart' and 'One To One Religion' and some people really like that 'Bugpowder Dust' track.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
UFO over easy said:
You probably just don't like Triosk then... Jelinek's input is fairly hard to discern on that record, especially having heard Triosk's own LP, which is extremely similar to this one. If anything, the micro influence is more obvious on their solo album. Bit weird that.
Yeah, I found that really odd, 'Moment Returns' sounds more like a collab with Jelinek than the actual collaboration record. :confused:

I trust you've heard the Jelinek and Computer Soup thing Confucius? Probably more up your alley.