Dissensus Log-ins.

Should we close the forum to lurkers?

• Allow people to lurk

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Require people to log-in

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Woebot

Whether it's a good idea or not i'm not entirely certain, but from now onwards (that is unless enough people come forward with good reasons to the contrary) people will have to have a "log-in" to be able to read the forum. I've noticed this at other forums and it seems reasonable enough.

Obviously this needn't stop people having more than one log-in ID or stop them using avatars to protect their real identity should they think that necessary (!)

sufi

lala
won't people be put off from joining if they can't lurk/browse without going thru registration?

i think other boards use registration to limit numbers if they get very busy, & some have it so that you can look at the thread titles, but can't look at the threads...

so... why?
i think if there's no good reason you might find it stifles the board's development, and may i jus mention that up til now i think that dissensus has been developing really very nicely indeed :D

john eden

male pale and stale
it's up to you Matt, but I agree with the points raised here against so far.

Urban75 only went "registration only" because there were so many non-registeres users checking it out every day that it kept crashing.

Uk-Dance, Blood & Fire and most of the other places I've checked out have a "read but can't post" policy and I think some of them do restrict other stuff like checking out personal profiles and searches also.

But it's down to you in terms of how (un)manageable this place is and what you do about it. ;)

Woebot

sufi said:
won't people be put off from joining if they can't lurk/browse without going thru registration?

i think other boards use registration to limit numbers if they get very busy, & some have it so that you can look at the thread titles, but can't look at the threads...

so... why?
i think if there's no good reason you might find it stifles the board's development, and may i jus mention that up til now i think that dissensus has been developing really very nicely indeed :D
was thinking maybe it'd encourage some of the persistent lurkers to "join the fuck up."

cant actually figure out how to show the thread titles ;)

ok (sufi's and jon's opinion greatly valued) i'll take it off and we'll run a poll.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Even if they join, they may not post, so I don't know if that brings things forwards. I lurked on Urban75 for about a year before posting. (UK-Dance for about... 3 days! :p )

turtles

in the sea
hohoho, I read this thread while lurking! But then I decided to log in and reply...

So yeah, I agree very much with this:

john eden said:
Even if they join, they may not post
So by banning lurking, you don't really solve the problem of people reading and not posting, plus you decrease the likelihood of new people joining because it's very hard for them to get a feel for what type of board this is.

But really, I don't think it'll be the end of the world either way.