Cubillas of Peru takes a couple of free kicks (70s football)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I remember watching this guy Cubillas of Peru in the World Cup
when I was a kid - probably one of the best free-kick takers ever.
Every time Peru had a free kick outside the box
you just waited for that ball to go in the top corner.

The top two when you search on him on youtube shows
one with the outside of his right foot versus Scotland in '78
and the other one a fantastic curler versus Brazil in '75.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search=cubillas

Imagine if this guy had today's kit (ie that Predator boot). Amazing stuff.

luka

ness, you got me and my step borther tottally addicted to searching out football videos on youtube now. thank you so much. its brialliant. i'm off to see what all the cruyff fuss was about. see you later.

IdleRich

IdleRich
No, I never really thought it would happen. Still, there's a kickabout in Regent's Park on Sunday at two o'clock if you're interested...

luka

i'm having a kickabout in bethnal this sunday. who plays in regents park? a group of friends? or one of those things where people just turn up weirdly. i might come down one week. whats the standard like? how many people? how serious do they take it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I play in a team in a five-a-side league on Wednesdays but it's a fairly low standard. It's a league run by SANZA so it's loads of Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis who are very fit but don't really understand the game.
Anyhow the lads from my team are going for kick around this Sunday, we sent an email round the league to see if anyone else wants to play and I'll guess we'll grab however many extras we need to make up two sides. So it won't be especially high standard and it won't be at all serious - we've tried organising weekend games in winter but only one person turned up (me) and he didn't have the ball.
I'll let you know if we do it again, we probably will.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I never did see Maradona, but I had the pleasure of seeing George Weah
when he played for AC Milan (scoring three goals vs Bari).
And he was easily the best player I've ever seen in a live match.
This is quite a nice "whole pitch" run from home in another match -

Yeah - you can easily spend hours watching footie stuff on youtube -
Maradona even makes "Life is Life" enjoyable, warming up to it, shoelaces
undone . Amazing -
as some of the stuff in
Maradona - the original .

My better half is already sick of the World Cup a month before it starts.

Last edited:

luka

thats robinho playing for santos. he hasnt made much of an impression at real yet but seems to have kept his place in the team so he can't of been that ineffectual. i like tricks and stuff anyway and the videos i like are just loads of tricks. thats why i've watched that maradonna the original thing about 5000 times. then me and my step brother try to replicate the tricks at work with our special skill enhancing mini football, and fail,miserably.

i remember that weah goal. its good. solo goals i can remember go
1.maradonna vs england
2.giggsvs arsenal
4.weah vs whoever the fuck it was
3.barnes vs brazil
4.henry vs real

i'm not really a team person, i like individual heroics and showboating.

jenks

thread death
Ness Rowlah said:
My better half is already sick of the World Cup a month before it starts.

mine too, especially as my seven year old has become a crazed statto through collecting and swapping stickers - i'm nipping off down the pub this afternoon to watch the FA cup to escape him and his incessant footie chatter. At least i don't ask her arcane footie questions over breakfast

thanks for these youtube moments - i love the way weah pirouettes round some sloppy midfield defending, he moves so beautifully.

i'm off to see what great Hoddle/Ardiles moments might be on there