PROG ROCK- breaking news, gossip, libel, lies etc

Woebot

ha! couldn't resist this.

marcus informs me that the new four tet mix has a Gong track from Angels Egg on it AND a track by Heldon.

it's all kicking off......

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i have a real, massive problem with these threads, especially their names.
as this is a type-written forum, where postings go on the record, it would be libel, not slander.
libel = written word. slander = spoken word.
just had to say. it's been bugging me for months.

Last edited:

carlos

manos de piedra
something blissblogger wrote reminded me of the recent reissue of King Crimson's "Lark Tongues in Aspic" i bought a few months ago- but the dynamics on this seem to have been exaggerated- the quiet parts are almost inaudible, and the louder parts are totally blasting. i can't say this really bothers me that much- definitely keeps you on your toes...

but it does make me wonder about reissues- how much tinkering is going on in the remaster?

boomnoise

♫
can't get away from Gong at the moment. a Gong Fourtet remix now imagine that.

Dave, i don't think these threads are designed for us to be slanderous, more report other sources. i view these threads as the heat magazine portion of dissensus.

zhao

there are no accidents
ah haha... brought a smile to this otherwise dreary morning this did :)

the most exciting thing I've discovered in the realm of contemporary psych and prog rock is by FAR a project by one of the Circle members called Pharoah Overlord. not all the material over 3 or 4 albums is top-notch but when it's good it is impossibly good.... doom laden, menacing motorik work-outs and gorgeous alien guitar tones - with none of the over-indulgent freak-outs of A.M.T., but with the trademark Finnish restraint almost remecescent of Pan Sonic... Neu! in a bad mood ploting the destruction of the world!

http://www.circlefinland.com/cirphara.html

Last edited:

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
carlos said:
something blissblogger wrote reminded me of the recent reissue of King Crimson's "Lark Tongues in Aspic" i bought a few months ago- but the dynamics on this seem to have been exaggerated- the quiet parts are almost inaudible, and the louder parts are totally blasting.
Even more than on the original?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Funny you guys started this. A colleage @ work is big into 70s electronica like Klaus Shcultze and Tangerine Dream and Heldon...I liked Heldon the most out of the bunch. Not essential but tracks like Perspectiv IV and Badder-Meinhoff Blues are reasonably kewl.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Buick6 said:
tracks like Perspectiv IV and Badder-Meinhoff Blues are reasonably kewl.
"Badder-Meinhoff Blues" just sounds cool. Gonna have to track that one down.

carlos said:
but it does make me wonder about reissues- how much tinkering is going on in the remaster?
You've got to be careful with remasters. Unscrupulous record conglomerates have been known to "remaster" from "pristine" copies of first vinyl pressings rather than the original tapes. Always inportant to check the liner notes...

mms

sometimes
i've heard mystery jets and my thought s are just because someone says it's prog rock doesn't mean it is, like people say the streets is the godfather of grime, these are meaningless remarks made to give something weight, mystery jets sound just like any other unmemorable rock band at the moment.
i think if you are looking for prog (or psych) in some ways the US is where all that action is ..

Woebot

mms said:
i've heard mystery jets and my thought s are just because someone says it's prog rock doesn't mean it is, like people say the streets is the godfather of grime, these are meaningless remarks made to give something weight, mystery jets sound just like any other unmemorable rock band at the moment.
i think if you are looking for prog (or psych) in some ways the US is where all that action is ..

i wonder about the secret machines? has anyone heard their stuff? paul morley seems to think they're a neo-prog act.....

http://www.thesecretmachines.com/

hint

party record with a siren
WOEBOT said:
i wonder about the secret machines? has anyone heard their stuff? paul morley seems to think they're a neo-prog act.....

http://www.thesecretmachines.com/

Their first album is fabulous - Now Here is Nowhere. It was recommended to you in your "Indie Rock Or Wot" thread at least 3 times ;)

But I hasten to point out that I wouldn't recommend it as a prog or psych album. It's pretty stripped-down rock and quite tracky.

The second one has lost me a bit after only a couple of listens.

Last edited:

Woebot

hint said:
Their first album is fabulous - Now Here is Nowhere. It was recommended to you in your "Indie Rock Or Wot" thread at least 3 times ;)

But I hasten to point out that I wouldn't recommend it as a prog or psych album. It's pretty stripped-down rock and quite tracky.

The second one has lost me a bit after only a couple of listens.

thanks hint. i better comb through that old thread in more detail. it dates from my "create discussion"-era of threads here...no need for that now.... :eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
having a listen to some old Porcupine Tree albums at the moment... never really investigated before now... very enjoyable! especially some of the epic driving minimalist tracks with sweeping dark synths on top - ace!

Violator

Lark's Tongues In Aspic - remasterd by Fripp three odd years ago and really works the dynamic range possible on CD

Prog,eh? What about the Mars Volta?