The Paradigm IS the enemy

IdleRich

IdleRich
Interesting stuff. At times it becomes a little (or maybe a lot) wild-eyed and hysterical but the start bit is fairly compelling. Last week when it was in the news that Americans were pawning their belongings so that they could fill up their tanks it really seemed like a powerful omen of something.

zhao

there are no accidents
but really... all kidding aside...

I'm honestly not sure exactly how seriously I should be taking some of the claims in this article... especially toward the end, where it talks about global collapse taking place as soon as this summer.

how seriously do you people take it? 25% 50%? 75%?

corneilius

call to action?

Whispering there's a possibilty of a fire is unlikely to galvanise action. The speech is a roaring call to action.

Einstein "we cannot resolve a problem with the same thinking that created that problem in the first place"

Politics has long been the struggle for dominance of one elite over another elite for the right to govern, to rule.

Only politics without parties, without sides, thathas at it's core concern the welfare of all people, and that includes the many viewpoints of the people who make up the community, can create the basis for resolving the very real, and imminent problems we face as a collective.

The Paradigm IS the enemy

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I don't think it will happen THAt quickly. But it will defintely make all those arrogant CEO muthafuckers start to sweat, if not go under. You must remember, we live in a hierachical world, so the effects will fuck all us shmoes down below.

Thing is there's no doubt countries like China will become the NEW superpowers, which is quite hoirrific. That fucken scumbags have no concern for the environment, human rights etc.... and won't talk about it, they'll just fuck you right over...don't start me on those Iranian assholes either..

zhao

there are no accidents
Buick6 said:
That fucken scumbags have no concern for the environment, human rights etc.... and won't talk about it, they'll just fuck you right over...don't start me on those Iranian assholes either..

I understand where you are coming from, and I certainly know about China's violation of human rights, disregard for the environment, etc., but this is an absurdly limited view of cultures and history.

my time is limited but for example: the beginning, growing and expanding stage of any industrial nation has little regard for the environment. America didn't at the beginning of the 20th C., and China doesn't now. thus this cannot be attributed to a cultural (I hope you don't mean racial) difference.

zhao

there are no accidents
corneilius said:
"we cannot resolve a problem with the same thinking that created that problem in the first place"

that's all honky dory and I agree n all, but I was more wondering if anyone is actually worried, like, about their families and stuff in the next 10 years. and whether any of you are planning to relocate. and where you think the best places to move to are - considering as many of the possible scenarios as possible - environmental disasters, economic collapse, etc... New Zealand? Singapore? Costa Rica?

D

droid

Buick6 said:
Thing is there's no doubt countries like China will become the NEW superpowers, which is quite hoirrific. That fucken scumbags have no concern for the environment, human rights etc.... and won't talk about it, they'll just fuck you right over...don't start me on those Iranian assholes either..

laugh.gif
You talk as if this isnt all true for the US at present! No concern for the environment or International law, wantonly bombing civilians in illegal wars, legitimising torture etc... dont get me started on those Israeli assholes either... ;)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the beginning, growing and expanding stage of any industrial nation has little regard for the environment. America didn't at the beginning of the 20th C., and China doesn't now"
True enough but at that point mankind didn't have the same power to change the environment on such a large scale that it does now. Also people weren't aware of the damage that they were doing - certainly not in the way that they are now. Any government no longer has the excuse of ignorance.

corneilius

China, USA etc.

There are two strands - government is one, and people are the other.

When we talk about China, USA, UK Iran starting wars or ruining the environment we are talking primarily about their governments, and their supporters in Industry.

It is all too easy to write off the people in those countries.

"Thing is there's no doubt countries like China will become the NEW superpowers, which is quite hoirrific. That fucken scumbags have no concern for the environment, human rights etc.... and won't talk about it, they'll just fuck you right over...don't start me on those Iranian assholes either.." I know you meant the Chinese Government, yet we can be clearer about who we are talking about. That helps to focus the discussion.

If, and when people wake up, we can and will reclaim our power, by taking responsibilty and by working together.

There are millions active already, far more than there are government personel. There are of course millions more who appear to be unaware .... but then many were unaware of the importance of looking after our environment and the lethal quality of exploiting it as we have been doing back in the 60's .... now most people are aware of this issue, even if they do not fully comprehend it.

Change occurs. People grow.