Wiley---2nd Phaze

Eric

Mr Moraigero
So how is it? I thought someone would have had something to say by now. Cant find it in Japan as far as I know so I am curious to hear how people view the record ..

petergunn

plywood violin
Eric said:
so I am curious to hear how people view the <s>record</s> MIXTAPE.

only UKrecordshop has copies, so don't bother looking in any stores... i hate dealing w/ them, but i'll prolly cop it this week...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
the record MIXTAPE.

so is this the (pre)verdict? I thought it was supposed to be a proper album ... ?

S

simon silverdollar

i'm going to get it from rhythm division tomorrow. looks like most of the tracks on there have been around for a while, though...

D

droid

So far - not really likin' it as much as the first one - which means itll probably be a huge success... Havent listened enough to give a definitive opinion.

gumdrops

i havent got high hopes for this but am gonna order a copy now. IMO wiley is always better either doing tracks with other people (as in the PAUG days), and hasnt been that hot at making 'songs', especially by himself, id much rather just hear him on radio, but maybe this will prove me wrong.

boosted

I enjoy 2nd Phaze ... especially all his little intros about why he left XL, how he wasn't canned from the label but left for artistic reasons, etc. Still, my vote for best album so far in the Grime full release category has to be Kano's album.

The thing I noticed most though is how much better the production is on Wiley's album than the production on Dizzee's albums, or The Streets albums, or pretty much most other Grime major label releases... and Wiley did his thing as an independent. You'd think with the backing of major labels like Dizzee and The Streets have they could put out product that actually sounds like it came from major label studios. Wiley's bit sounds great, and just for that alone XL should be bummed that he's off their roster.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
There´s certainly no hype about 2nd Phaze, but I think as time goes by it´ll get the recognition it deserves. Intro, gangsterz, u aint real, stromy weather, Johnny was a bad boy, one avalanche, friday night, saw it coming and so amazing -- that´s like a complete quality album! even the rest of it is pretty good (except for keep moving).

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
I like it but I think the first half is significantly stronger than the second (not counting those extra non-Wiley tracks tacked on at the end).

Blackdown

nexKeysound
boosted said:
The thing I noticed most though is how much better the production is on Wiley's album than the production on Dizzee's albums, or The Streets albums...

i'll give you The Streets, he's a shockingly bad producer, but Dizzee? Dirtee Stank produce pure quality, in both sound and ideas. (actually if we're being pedantic, 2nd Phaze is oddly mastered, with drops in volume levels here and there but who really cares.)

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
gumdrops said:
i would say boy in da corner still has the edge, by quite a long shot
I don´t think it´s that unreasonable to say that 2nd Phaze is up there. Especially over two albums, Wiley seems to have the upper hand. The big difference is that Boy in the corner was released near the highest point of the hype.