Why are there no good UK metal/hard rock bands anymore..

Buick6

too punk to drunk
And I'm not talking abut the DARKNESS, but why don't the Poms have bands like Motorhead anymore? I mean there's still angry working class yobs out there, or did they all neutered by Ecstasy?

I think English music needs a retro to 80s UK metal, shieet, I'll even accept another Judas Priest, as long as they're totally irreverant, rock like mofo, and aren't PC/tweecore apologists.

I mean this hiphopification/Idolification of the world is getting really BORING, and sonically SHITE

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Hey, Iron Maiden's still kickin a good amount of ass. I think Bruce Dickinson recently released another solo album (which I haven't listened to yet). But it's too bad Priest's last album was weaaaak.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Good question, really. But it can be extended to rock'n'roll in general. I think it's a bit like asking why there aren't no more good jazz anymore? Because everything come to an end? Because you can't replay the past? Because we are more intelligent and less naive? Because we are not anymore thirteen? I don't know, really... sorry...

IdleRich

IdleRich
McClusky have split up haven't they? I think that some of their members are in other bands but I don't know if they are any good or even if they are metal/hard rock.

hint

party record with a siren
IdleRich said:
McClusky have split up haven't they? I think that some of their members are in other bands but I don't know if they are any good or even if they are metal/hard rock.

Yeah - correct. They have split up.

Still worth checking out though, especially considering Buick's requests above. They are underrated and I would say they represent what he is looking for in "modern" Rock music - angry / sonically GREAT / nothing to do with Hip Hop.

unperson

has no squid friends
Napalm Death are still great. In fact, it seems to me that they've only gotten better over the years.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah - correct. They have split up."
In fact, if I remember correctly, the band made of the ex-members is also splitting up because the main guy is moving to Australia.

"Still worth checking out though, especially considering Buick's requests above. They are underrated and I would say they represent what he is looking for in "modern" Rock music - angry / sonically GREAT / nothing to do with Hip Hop."
Agreed, from what I've heard they are pretty good and fit that description.

Octopus?

Just off the top of my head, there's Akercocke, Anaal Nathrakh, reliable Cathedral, Esoteric (psychedelic doom), Jesu (great stuff, anybody who hasn't heard their most recent EP should get themselves to a record shop), Napalm Death (agreed about them improving, the last disc was just punishingly good).

Still haven't heard Ramesses, but they sound amazing. Any word on the last Electric Wizard "We Live"?

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Cathedral's single(I can't remember what it's called) from their newest album flat out kills.
I'd think Cathedral are precisely the kind of band you're looking for - very "metal" with mammoth, Sabbath-esque riffs.

Also, I can't wait to pick up the new Jesu EP. Anyone listen to Justin Brodrick's Final stuff? I was thinking about giving that a try.

petergunn

plywood violin
unperson said:
Napalm Death are still great. In fact, it seems to me that they've only gotten better over the years.

yup.

i don 't listen to much new rock these days, but a few years back i was listening to Ten Benson and they were good...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Big up Octopus for mentioning Jesu- (Justin Broaderick) heavy Shoegaze-industrial-dream-metal antics aplenty. Its a potentially very fertile area, (so long as he misses off some of the more sigur ros on downers moments and plays up the swans meets mbv bits....)

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
Another vote for Jesu here. The new EP is a little less heavy, and a little more melodic than the album. I agree it's a very fertile area. New album later in the year also.

Simplistic mathematical explanation:

Godflesh + Swans + MBV + The Cure = Jesu.

throughsilver

Octopus? said:
Still haven't heard Ramesses, but they sound amazing. Any word on the last Electric Wizard "We Live"?
I was disappointed with it, especially after the excellent Dopethrone. They're apparently knocking another one out this year; I hope it's as gnarly and dirty as We Live wasn't.

There were some really good UK heavy rock bands a few years ago, all kind of emanating from Nottingham. Mid-period Pitchshifter were really good, but not as good as Iron Monkey and earthtone9. They were great, but sadly split before their time.

Right now, other than the Earache generation, there seems to be precious little out there.

Last edited:

Octopus?

gek-opel said:
Big up Octopus for mentioning Jesu- (Justin Broaderick) heavy Shoegaze-industrial-dream-metal antics aplenty. Its a potentially very fertile area, (so long as he misses off some of the more sigur ros on downers moments and plays up the swans meets mbv bits....)

Exactly! Beautifully swirling textured tracks with a really unforced epic feeling, and very emotional without crossing the line into cheese or moping...although I can kind of see it not translating well live. It's the most excited I've been about a Broadrick project in ages.

Between that and the absolutely ace Razor X disc on Rephlex, Techno Animal alumni are soundtracking spring nicely!

Last edited:

Octopus?

matt b said:
cathedral have alway suffered because lee dorrian cannot sing

Blasphemer. Let's go for 'acquired taste', always thought his vocals complimented their sound quite well. They're such a unique band that a conventional metal vocalist would almost hinder them.

That being said, just try listening to "Oro The Manslayer" and not want to immediately ride off into battle.

Last edited:

D84

Anybody else think the new Killing Joke album, Hosannas from the Basement of Hell, is great?

My mate reckons it sounds like a recording of a really good jam which is fine by me and that's what it seems to say in the liner notes. It's pretty much a back to basics production, basic tribal/repetitive drumming, no overdubs and mixed through a boombox.

I reckon they're the Motorhead of punk/post-punk etc: still at it full speed ahead with no sign of getting fat and lazy.

Yeah, I'll second Jesu from what I've heard.