Grime-where did it all go wrong?

luka

lets face it, grime is shit. it didn't used to be, it probably doesn't have to be, but it is.

what went wrong?

was it MCs realising there wasn't millions to be made? that the scene wasn't going to break through en masse and revolutionise the british music industry? that beleif they could make it seemed to fuel a lot of the belief and drive and fervour of the scene.
was it trying to be hiphop? the sub hiphop stuff really is intolerable. gangsterz? no thanks mate. know we was much better. what a regression. wiley lost it years ago,at least as an MC.
is it that beef bollocks? no raves? no record sales? hipster acclaim?
how come no MC ever got better? how come everyone just stayed on the same level or deteriorated?
what happened to new talent? how come no one has come along (apart from a couple,doctor for example) who is on the same level or better as the first stars like shark major,dizzee and d double? how come the nasty crew sets from de ja are still the best thing to have emerged from the scene? why are the youngers all so bad? what went wrong?

echevarian

babylon sister
Dunno exactly.

I started losing interest when it switched from rapid MCing to a bunch of teenagers yelling just random shit hoping that it would catch on like D Double's "mrui mrui" thing.

So I guess sometime after that Forward tune came out.

So basically I'm blaming this all on Napper.

There is still some very good shit in there: Manga, Shizzle,Those guys on the Fuck Radio sets.

Don't know man, you got me into it, you tell me.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Surely there's still good grime being made... it's just not selling, cos it's all being downloaded. Please don't say grime's over, I don't want all the gangsters coming over to dubstep and fucking everything up...

Kaiser

There's still groundbreaking grime being made..... look for it !

The level of mc's is going up not down

Production is way better than it was

Too many good mc's to name.... Tempa T, Big H, Scorcher, Devlin and the rest of the OT camp, Boy better know, The movement, etc......

It's far too early to say that grime is finished !

Kaiser

If you're looking for groundbreaking stuff, listen to the macabre unit mixtape ( sidewinder summerball mixtape it's called )

You'll fall in love with grime all over again !

bruno

est malade
it's true that it feels dead, but there are healthy cells if you look closely. there is waifer and footsie arguably at the top of their game, ruff sqwad, macabre unit still pursuing their amazing aesthetic in anonymity, and now disturbed man dem (who are actually very good). to me all the interesting work has come out of these, or out of nowhere like with 'ghetto kyote'. at least they are putting out records! compare that to the non-existent n.a.s.t.y cd and every mixtape/album promised over the past years. so let roll deep do another top of the pops, wiley shoot himself in the foot again, there is still life (just not enough to sustain the body).

bruno

est malade
Kaiser said:
If you're looking for groundbreaking stuff, listen to the macabre unit mixtape ( sidewinder summerball mixtape it's called )
yeah, but that's from 2004, i think

S

simon silverdollar

i think it's got worse because producers are trying to make things too complicated and dense (prob the influence of dubstep here). those fruity loop beats banged out in 5 minutes were always the best- that's probably why scratchy's pretty much the best producer out there at the moment, doing stuff on his playstation...

i think generally MCing is much better than it was, especially lyrically, but it's true that there's been no really individual voices to come through recently. there's a lack of idiosyncratic, eccentric MCs whereas there was loads of them in the old days (bruza was perhaps the last one to come through). i think this is probably due to Kano- he introduced a calmer, more lyrical, 'normal' style of MCing.

grime's still the best thing out there, tho.

incidentally, i did a bit on my blog about this yesterday:
http://make-everything-better.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
bruno said:
it's true that it feels dead, but there are healthy cells if you look closely.

This sounds like one of those "The vocal 2-step scene is definitely gonna blow up again in 2007" threads on the uptown forum.

Luka's probably right. It feels very much like it's peaked even though there are still good artists/tunes out there. I felt that way when I left London/RWD last year. So far nothing has made me think I was wrong about that. Everybody I talk to in the scene now is always complaing it's not going anywhere, was better a few years back etc etc. It's been six years now, it's high time something else replaced grime. I think it would do the UK a lot of good.

luka

fools never differ eh si?!

its true though. i enjoyed reading that. i have so many nasty tapes from 2001-2003 and they're some of the best bits of music i've ever heard. nothing today comes remotely close. certainly not macarbre unit.

luka

also,listen to pirate radio these days. if grime still carried the energy it would be everywhere. but its nowhere. you have the long established community radio stations and their newer (linx/lnyx etc) competitors playing the usual, reggae,soca, zouk and the american stuff, you have rinse admittedly and then you have a impossibily huge number of stations playing tasteful house music. tasteful house music is dominating london pirate radio!! what the fuck is that all about?! theres more drum and bass than grime right now on the radio. and no one is even arguing about that being dead.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well you weren't joking about Sharky Major, thats for sure.

I only have like one really good Nasty Set, and that blows 99% of American Hiphop out of the water.

I was so obsessed with Boy in Da Corner, loved Walkin on Thin Ice.

Somedays I just ask myself if I'm lookin hard enough.

We need to get some these next level youngers over some of Skream's newer stuff.

viktorvaughn

simon silverdollar said:
i think it's got worse because producers are trying to make things to complicated and dense (prob the influence of dubstep here). those fruity loop beats banged out in 5 minutes were always the best- that's probably why scratchy's pretty much the best producer out there at the moment, doing stuff on his playstation...

i think generally MCing is much better than it was, especially lyrically, but it's true that there's been no really individual voices to come through recently. there's a lack of idiosyncratic, eccentric MCs whereas there was loads of them in the old days (bruza was perhaps the last one to come through). i think this is probably due to Kano- he introduced a calmer, more lyrical, 'normal' style of MCing.

grime's still the best thing out there, tho.

incidentally, i did a bit on my blog about this yesterday:
http://make-everything-better.blogspot.com

I really don't feel Kanos style compared to a lot of other MCs. I gues he maybe honed his style down to that kind fast regulat rhythmic flow to sound accessible or whatever but he lacks any natural variation like you say, hes like a machine!

bruno

est malade
luka said:
i have so many nasty tapes from 2001-2003 and they're some of the best bits of music i've ever heard
you could rip one to prove your point ;)
luka said:
certainly not macarbre unit.
um they're a bit samey-sounding, i admit. but what they were doing in 2003 was weird and unique. i'll up the evidence, give me a few minutes. here it is

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
simon silverdollar said:
i think it's got worse because producers are trying to make things to complicated and dense (prob the influence of dubstep here). those fruity loop beats banged out in 5 minutes were always the best- that's probably why scratchy's pretty much the best producer out there at the moment, doing stuff on his playstation...

that is crap, isnt it simon? grime's decline has nothing to do with dubstep. And people can't have it both ways - argue for years that grime's next level in terms of production and then blame dubstep for it the moment grime sound plateaus. frankly nothing on a playstation ever beat Boy In Da Corner, and that was made on Logic and a big fat outboard desk.

As much as i'd love there to be more, there's only limited overlap between grime and dubstep beyond the interest from jammer/skepta/tubby/wiley in FWD and skream beats. and skream uses Fruity...

but anyway i'm still into the scene but my issues with grime at the moment are that the new MCs think war and slewing is the whole purpose of grime MCing, whereas when say Trim, Doctor or Bearman drop bars, they're a joy of content and wordplay. so with so many newschool MCs all you get is this wall of reflexive hate or quick reload bars like 'Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing/Bang him!!!!' - Which is fine as the exception but not as the rule.

also the wow factor isn't there but that's to be expected. grime felt so fresh compared to 2step and was growing so quickly, but now it's comparing itself with its past glories, something that's harder to compete with.

finally the spirit of hope from the MCs to blow in contrast with the realities of their commercial prospects is starting to become depressing for me because the reality is if someone like Skepta can't get a deal, they're all doomed right now. add to this the depression that the scene can't colaborate with itself enough to start businesses because of all the warring, and the ugly major label machine has locked its doors tightly... well it just makes me sad :( .