E2 E4

mms

sometimes
i've become totally obsessed by e2 e4 lby manuel gotshing ately - is there anything else from this era around like this ?

i feel a big german krauty/synthy delve coming on :)

owen

a very good summer record isn't it...
sometimes similar though new age tendencies alert is ashra's 'correlations'
correlations.jpg

which has nice gottsching synth-guitar prettiness, sometimes oddly evocative of daft punk. can be found v cheap as well

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
The music on that Die Dominas record is very similar to E2-E4 in places (Manuel on button).

Harmonia - Deluxe (super highly recommended)

Cluster - Zuckerzeit

Also take a punt on Michael Bundt - Just Landed Cosmic Kid / Neon.

Michael Rother solo - Flammende Herzen and Sterntaler are OK - more than a bit treacly though.

Conrad Schnitzler - Rot / Gelb ?

Takehisa Kosugi - Catch Wave

Edgar Froese - Stuntman - I really like bits of this. Doesn't really come close to the minimal majesty of E2-E4 mind.

There must be loads more - what's that stuff Scultze did under a different name....long pulsing proto techno tracks?

mms

sometimes
owen said:
a very good summer record isn't it...

Yeah i put it on to try and cheer up my stressed girlfriend last night :)

noel :
these Conrad Schnitzler - Rot / Gelb ? came up in a convo with woebot also these:

cluster's 'curiosum' and 'sowieso' lps
the eno/moebius/roedelius stuff "pitch control"

and kazoo bty ash ra from belle alliance .

plus the stuff with eno conny and cluster too - which i have and is fantastic

klaus stuff even his later stuff liek that en-trance 12" is it ? that's ace .

conny just looks like the biggest dude in the world ever from the pictures i'v'e seen of him btw - what a guy

klaus' other name was Richard Wahnfried btw - not heard any of that stuff

carlos

manos de piedra
beginning with "Inventions for Electric Guitar" (1975) i think all of Gottsching's records have that chugging echo + sequencer that makes the music have that proto-techno feel- so "New Age of Earth", "Blackouts", "Correlations" (as mentioned by owen) and "Belle Alliance" are all worth checking out. "Belle Alliance" (1980) has a reggae tune and some strange disco on it to

this 1978 Conrad Schnitzler album ("Con") has some sequence-ish moments too:

con_egg.jpg

J

jimbackhouse

heldon / richard pinhas! 1st album is amazing, also later things like 'interface' are great: cosmic sequencer moog + guitar frippertronics. also lard free, similar cosmic synth + jazz prog. woebot's excellent frog-prog posts covered all that i know.

been listening to franco battiato's 'clic' which is his homage to stockhausen, although it probably owes more to steve reich or terry riley, again, lots of arpeggiating analogue synths with helicopter noises and quasi-chamber music violins + brass.

pretty much _anything_ by cluster is worth checking out. zuckerzeit is one of my favourite albums ever, as are the two harmonia albums (musik von... and deluxe) soweisoso is lush, lots of reedy bavarian style synths parping away and twittering ambience. grosses wasser is a good'un too.

also worth checking out some of the other stuff on the sky label: 'sonnenlicht' by nik tyndall comes to mind: really excellent cosmic motorik analogue synth music, with _really_ bad fantasy sleeve art.

that conrad schnitzler album ('con') is amazing!!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
And obviously obvious but Kraftwerk's Kling Klang and Ananas Symphonie for more summer mantric bliss.

J

jimbackhouse

of recent stuff, delia and gavin seem almost too obvious to mention, but i will anyway.

that coil track 'red birds will fly out and destroy paris in a night' is also really amazing and it should last for an hour rather than just 8 minutes (it's on 'musick to play in the dark #1')

been listening loads lately to 'cloudz' by sunroof!, which is an excellent album of uncharacteristically synth + drum-machine led blissed out cosmic electronics.

R-150-307826-1091772802.gif

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Conrad Schnitzlers work, as great as it is, is nothing like E2-E4. Basically, Schnitzler made proto-industrial, kind of what Throbbing Gristle tried to do (exept for all the silly "subversive" crap), only much much better. Still, his Blau-record has a nice summer-feel to it, so maybe...

Anyway, the closest you'll get to E2-E4 is probably some of Schulzes solo works, in particular Mirage (winter to Göttschings summer, though), Body Love, Inter*Face, En=Trance and Miditerranean Pads. Especially Miditerranean Pads. It's also the best record ever made.

Schulzes Richard Wahnfried-project is very uneven. Miditation and Tonwelle is closest to ordinary Schulze, and probably closest to what you're after here. Tonwelle has Göttsching on it. Time Actor has lots of weird singing/recitation by Arthur Brown. Has a charm in it's own way. Megatone, on the other hand, is an awful attempt to combine Schulzes pulsing synths with hard rock, a big mistake!

Another Schulze project maybe slightly approaching E2-E4 is the one he did with drummer Michael Shrieve, Transfer Station Blue, has some guitar playing too (by kevin Shrieve).

bruno

est malade
right, thanks. as for the extra tracks you never know with spalax, you could be getting anything.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Excellent $h1t people, keep the recs coming! I always knew I was missing krautrock gems but it's a forbidding genre for the newcomer, especially if they dont speak german. Def gonna pick up on some of these...

Arther Russell 'In The Light Of The Miracle', for a descoboogified take on E2E4?