Pink Floyd DSOm - greatest album ever?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
You know, despite the Guiness Book of records stuff, it's a pretty fucken good record all bases covered. The first few tracks are total minimal musique concrete, and the whole sorta stoned Neil-Young plod-plod-plod groove is very nice to kick back to, and always pleasant on the ears. I useta cringe at this album in the 80s, maybe coz my older bro' played it religiously in the 70s! Stoner mates at high-school would have rituals of listening to this alb, and I would cringe and feel a total outsider wanting to plonk of the latest Nick Cave drone or Died Pretty blare...but 20 odd years later, and this alb feels so REET. Shit, I'm turning into an old fart as I type...!

But another interesting thing about DSOm, or even Floyd as a whole is how much they lack a sexual centre in their sound/shtick. It's all 'head' music, but as an old fart, I couldn't think of a better album to 'fuck', or at least seduce someone to.

SO yeah IMHO, it's still a hard album to beat as (one of the best) ever, simpy coz it play nice as a WHOLE ALBUM per-se, and of course it's massive commerical appeal...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
having that DSOTM poster on your bedroom wall in high school was one of the primary signifiers that you were an intelligent stoner...the other ones were: painting the "In The Court Of The Crimson King" LP cover in art class, and wearing either a Rush t-shirt (with the naked man logo) or a Yes belt buckle...

DSOTM is a true classic, all the way through...(I do hate the way classic radio stations have appropriated the crashing-coins sample for their money giveaways, though)...and even though it's become a bit of a cliche, you would be hard-pressed to find another LP that registers so highly on both critical and commercial fronts...

tom pr

Personally, Wish You Were Here is my favourite Floyd album, and my favourite record ever.

Dark Side is great (though I prefer Animals and Meddle), but nothing feels as succinct, sublime and perfect as Wish You Were Here does to me.

shudder

i dunno, i'm probably just too young or somethin', but I just can't take too much of the floyd....

jenks

thread death
if buick is attempting to rehabilitate DSof the M then can i make the case for Foxtrot by Genesis as a true unpalatable work of genius?

for the record i have never been able to bear the wittering of DSOM but have always quite liked The Final Cut, peverse i know but not intentionally so...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its not awful, but its pretty patchy, some great bits, but a reasonable quantity of dodgy white-man's hardware shop bluesy nonsense (thanks Dave "call me David" Gilmour). I prefer the earlier pre-stadium post-Barrett stuff which sounds like glorious fake avant garde...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Buick6 I had always gotten the impression that you were about 20 yrs old."
Agreed. In fact I thought he was about fifteen until I read the blog thing he linked to (enjoyed it by the way) and it's going on about having kids and stuff.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I like people with less life experience than me telling me I'm intellectually 20. Makes me feel rock n' roll as opposed to some some of librarian nerd bedsit boy who thinks he's wise coz he's read books with big words and theories.

and I still think DSOM is a pretty nice album to listen to, but I would never bother comparing it to Lacan or Deleuze or Derrida or Marx, though there's ample space for some other dweeb to do so.

I think there's more validity in explaining the highest-most snobbish art, and turning people onto it that wouldn't even bother, than preaching to a converted mass of snobs in a mass frottage-session that passes as 'cultural criticism' these days.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"...but I would never bother comparing it to Lacan or Deleuze or Derrida or Marx, though there's ample space for some other dweeb to do so."
I completely agree with that, it was just the knee-jerk reactions and badly expressed/spelled sarcasm that made me think you were younger than me.

blunt

shot by both sides
jenks said:
if buick is attempting to rehabilitate D S of the M then can i make the case for Foxtrot by Genesis as a true unpalatable work of genius?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

bassnation

the abyss
D7_bohs said:
god yes; the 70s had DSOTM, the 80s the Joshua Tree, the 90s OK Computer as the mirrors of their respective self- regard - all unlistenable.

joshua tree in total agreement with - but dsotm has its moments, especially that really fast instrumental one that ends with an explosion. people are too quick to write off albums and bands like this imo. its totally unhip now of course, but the excesses of the 70's are very distant and maybe it can be reappraised.

btw, has everyone heard the dub side of the moon by the reggae allstars? its dsotm done unsuprisingly as dub reggae, pretty good - very organic.

jenks

thread death
blunt said:
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Are you Patrick Bateman?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
bassnation said:
btw, has everyone heard the dub side of the moon by the reggae allstars? its dsotm done unsuprisingly as dub reggae, pretty good - very organic.

I have it, and love it. It actually re-peaked my interest in DSOTM.

Another intersting tidbit, a couple of years ago i went out to LA to visit, and noticed in the Weekly that, before i got there, they had actually performed Dub side of the Moon. From the review, it said they played with the Wizard of Oz playing in the background, and synced it all up, dub stylee. After the movie was over, i guess it turned into a big jam session.

Just sounds soooo wicked.