Andy Weatherall

polystyle

Dunno if I missed it . but I don't recall very much mention of Andy Weatherall's work by himself ,
not so much the early prod's , yeah fine but I'm talking about the works from say,
the Nine O'Clock Drop Comp. period and ending with the Two Lone Swordsmen
Big Silver Shining Motor Of Sin remixes period.
Many friends here all thought he was the man there for a while ,
making electro hybrid tracks that were some steps different from the 'electro clash/ trash' stuff
and his live DJ mixes at clubs here were pretty inspiring ...

Anyone feel that stuff ?
Cheers to Andy , the 'Chairman'

elgato

I just dont know
I saw him dj, and he was absolutely phenomenal, so varied, masteful programming / development and ridiculously tight mixing...a complete master. In terms of that period of releases, I havent really heard that much by him, although I did read an interesting interview with him where I believe he was saying that looking back he wasn't proud of a lot the stuff he was doing, indicating that he became too caught up in the lifestyle, glory and drugs and lost sight of what he now sees to be the right way to approach music and the right stylistic motivations. How does that corellate to what you have heard? I found it very surprising because from what I've read elsewhere his music seemed to be fairly perpetually rated...

polystyle

Right , we took himself out the game after the Primal Scream remixes , etc. heights ,
regrouped and came back doing a rather great stream of things there ...
Radioactive Man was up in there with him as well

It was the DJ sets that were blowing us away on a regular basis when he would come through
great edgy electro techno all thrashed together

viktorvaughn

I think he's great. Seen him do a blinding set of really punky house and techno and then went to see him again but got to the club late and just caught the last 5 minutes!

Two Lone Swordsmen and Sabres of Paradise are both pretty decent also. Though new TLS album (Double Gone Chapel) sounded a bit rubbish from what i heard.

Saw Radioactive Man in a squatted pub in London and the music was serious hammering! Really driving, thundering techno like a rain of steel rods falling on your head.

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
yeah, im not nearly as big of a fan of his production as his dj'ing...around 99/00 he was one of the few djs i would really try to check constantly. i missed him in nyc two years ago <?> and i've always been puzzled about his lack of gigs over here.

i havent heard anything recently, so any links to new sets would be appreciated...and i'm after the first mix he did on groovetech a while ago, in case anyone's got it.

tryptych

waiting for a time
I loved all that period TLS stuff - Swimming not Skimming, Stockwell Steppas, Bag of Blue Sparks, Stay Down, Virus with Shoes. All very varied, from the early underwater deep house on Swimming..., the "electro for welders" on Bag... and the much more relaxed electronica on Stay Down and Virus.

And of course his DJing was something else.

carlos

manos de piedra
Sabres of Paradise "Haunted Dancehall" is fantastic- one of my all-time favorites

Two Lone Swordsmen "The Fifth Mission" is pretty great too.

polystyle

Groove Tech mix

I remember that GrooveTech mix Adruu
That had all kinds of stuff in there ,
started with him mixing out of the intro /outro industrial synths of Iggy Pop's Mass Production, right ? ... >

Jim Daze

me and my mates thought he was the man dem for a while , that night he did called Blood Sugar was really good, it has to be said his dj is better than the music, have you listened to any of that progressive shit lately it hasn't faired well. I like the fact that Wevvers tried to raise some cash for P Orridge when he was in exile by putting out that 'United' single which is an exception to the rest of that percussive nonesense from aorund that time. The only time I 'catch' Weverspoon now is at the ready meal section of Marks & Spencer when he in his 'civvies.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I used to go to cream when i were but a nipper, he played some awesome sets back then. I recently digitized a tape of him from that period (94-95), which I would say is the best mixtape, of any genre, that i have ever heard - anonymous classics from the golden age of house-y techno and ridiculously well mixed, considering it's a live recording.

I had a period of going to Rotters Golf Club & the haywire nights a few years ago and heard him do a few sets there, which I didnt like as much - maybe just cos the standard of music wasnt as high as it was back in the mid 90s. The nights as a whole were always fun though.

Never really got into his production stuff beyond the obvious like smokebelch. The high period of TLS releases coincided with a time when I wasnt buying much electronic music, so a lot of them passed me by.

bassnation

the abyss
Jim Daze said:
me and my mates thought he was the man dem for a while , that night he did called Blood Sugar was really good, it has to be said his dj is better than the music, have you listened to any of that progressive shit lately it hasn't faired well. I like the fact that Wevvers tried to raise some cash for P Orridge when he was in exile by putting out that 'United' single which is an exception to the rest of that percussive nonesense from aorund that time. The only time I 'catch' Weverspoon now is at the ready meal section of Marks & Spencer when he in his 'civvies.

Yeah, agreed on some of the early prog house (still better than the modern stuff though!). i think that whole period of 94 for house music which i loved at the time has dated a little. i was going through listening to some old tribal tunes the other day and a lot hasn't stood the test of time - stuff i found sinister and dark at the time now sounds almost comically camp - but that probably says more about me than it does the music!

i loved a lot of the early trance too - not talking about the 2nd wave championed by testio etc but the original material on eye q and even labels like r&s.

polystyle

Layered

Yeah, it was the period around the Haywire thing is the time I was asking about ...
Andy came to NYC a few times then (Pyramid Club , a rave -y night Manhattan Center , Apt.)
and seemed to up the ante each time.
His DJ work was well worth going out for
and some nights he would hit a great streak of sonics that sounded like
'2 records playing at once with a 3rd one doing something too '
that felt fresh and like he had taken the music somewhere forward >

Other nights it was heavy techno or a different mix of things
everyone out of their heads from Andy & spliffage

Haywire used to have those nice little music clips up weekly as well
but I guess that couldn't last forever , prolly not a lot sold / Ltd $ support
We used to hear from Warp crew that 'we love him' but wish he would sell more stuff '

Just think he showed some real stuff there in those years !

IdleRich

IdleRich
Does he still do that Sunday night in the Griffin playing rockabilly? Went down there a few months ago and he was wearing jodhpurs and a ridiculous/great handlebar moustache in a kind of Billy Childish style. He played some great stuff.

viktorvaughn

IdleRich said:
Does he still do that Sunday night in the Griffin playing rockabilly? Went down there a few months ago and he was wearing jodhpurs and a ridiculous/great handlebar moustache in a kind of Billy Childish style. He played some great stuff.

When i last saw him he had a leather waistcoat, big handlebar moustace, kind of WWI-flying-ace style haircut and rather butch tattoos all over him forearms!

tryptych

waiting for a time
I occasionally DJ in the Griffin, and he's often there - always makes me rather embaressed/nervous.

You're right about his current dress styles though - always with the slick backed hair and mustache.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I occasionally DJ in the Griffin, and he's often there - always makes me rather embarassed/nervous. "
Yeah, it would me (Lula from Wang works behind the bar as well if you need more pressure), "just" gotta make sure they're all killers seamlessly mixed I guess. What do you play?

polystyle

The Chairman a Billy

Good, good these replies are what I was fishing for - Weatherall appreciation thread.
I was wondering if it was only us few over here that had such awe , respect for the guy

Heard something about his rockabilly jag , the haircut sounds fun