Logotherapy

sufi

lala
Logotherapy is a distinct branch of humanistic/existential school psychotherapy, because of its focus on the human spirit and “the meaning of human existence as well as on man’s search for such a meaning (Frankl 1984, p.121). What sets Frankl apart from Rollo May and Irvin Yalom (2000) is his unconditional affirmation of life’s meaning. The main objective of logotherapy was to facilitate clients’ quest for meaning and empower them to live meaningfully, responsibly, regardless of their life circumstances.

Logotherapy was put to a severe test in a very personal way between 1942 and 1945, when Dr. Frankl was committed to Nazi concentration camps.His experience and observation supported the main thesis of logotherapy:

“This was the lesson I had to learn in three years spent I Auschwitz and Dachau: those most apt to survive the camps were those oriented toward the future, toward a meaning to be fulfilled by them in the future” (Frankl, 1985b, p.37).

His experience in Nazi camps was recorded in Man’s Search for Meaning (Frankl, 1963, 1984). His personal triumph over unimaginable trauma has been the most compelling testimony to logotherapy. There are no other psychotherapists whose life and work are as inseperable as Dr. Frankl’s. He is Logotherapy, and vice versa.

from here

Never encountered this before - it just popped up on an email list from an eminent person today & i checked it in google - although i've often wondered and remarked to colleagues who are involved in helping traumatised people - whether a spiritual element is lacking in psychology/psychiatry/psychoanalysis & whether that dimension can be more helpful particularly in less secularist mindsets than ours,

anyone know anything about that please?