Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Love all their collaborations, new album is less than 20 minutes long though, rip-off! Any other fans? Anyone know of anything similar?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Haven't heard this but just like to chime in with a quick:

Ryuichi Sakamoto is a BADMAN!

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is one of the sickest melodies ever, heard they covered this on the new LP, is it any good? Not a big fan of Noto's clicking and popping from what I've heard but I'm basically down to check whatever Mr. Sakamoto puts his hands on.

O

Omaar

Had a listen to Insen after someone mentioned it here awhile back, which I quite like( thanks whoever that was).

Was chatting to a UK electronic artist recently who did gig with him and Aphex and said that he was hyper particular about the arrangements for the show, layout and everything, to quite an unreasonable degree.

Oh there is this thread:

http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3146

S

simon silverdollar

Ned said:
Love all their collaborations, new album is less than 20 minutes long though, rip-off! Any other fans? Anyone know of anything similar?

i've got the first album they did, on raster-noton and have never been able to really get in to it- the way it's all fragments, and never settles down into any thing like a melody, is a big obstacle for me.
but may be i should try again.
i get the impression that this is really late night music, right?

zhao

there are no accidents
20 minutes? my copy (bought the week of release) clocks in at 44 minutes long.

I love everything Carsten Nicolai's ever done - so much so that, like with other all time favorites, I consciously try not to play the releases too much so that I don't wear them out...

don't actually care for Sakomoto much. even his contribution here, although fits in
and contrasts beautifully with the clicks n bass, feels very sentimental. the kind of sentimentality that would be entirely intolerable if not for the context.

another very strong digital / piano collaboration, which I sometimes enjoy more than Nicolai/Sakomoto, is Taylor Deupree with Kenneth Kirchner. also on their second outing - the piano tones are more minor-key and abstract, the computer parts more unpredictable.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
confucius said:
20 minutes? my copy (bought the week of release) clocks in at 44 minutes long.

Are you talking about 'Revep'? My copy has three tracks, one seven minutes, one eight, one four (and yes it does include a version of Mr. Lawrence).

zhao

there are no accidents
Ned said:
Are you talking about 'Revep'?

my bad. I was talking about Insen. so there's a new EP out? nice.

I am slightly apprehensive that this collaboration can become formulaic, and they just keep using the same tricks...

Tweak Head

Sakamoto at his best is genius stuff. But he is capable of dross. Saw him at RFH in London a few years ago with violin and viola players ... him on piano ... boring as fuck. But Forbidden Colours is awesome.