El-B - recommendations, info

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
I'm liking the Burial album a lot right now, and I notice in the interview with him posted here that he namechecks El-B as a producer he likes. Anyone offer any suggestions on what to check out by El-B or other info? Is it all on 12"s, or any mixes/comps?

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
As Ghost (post 2000)

Ghost 'The Dancehall EP' (Ghost)
El-B 'Serious' (Locked On)
Roxy v El-B 'Breakbeat Science/Cuba' (Bison)
Ghost 'Lyrical Tempo' (Ghost)
El-B ft Toni Simba and Rumpus 'Show a Little Love' (Scorpion)
El-B ft Juiceman 'Buck & Bury' (Ghost)
Ghost 'Cruizer' (Ghost white)

As Groove Chronicles (pre 2000)

GC 'Stone Cold' (DPR)
Damage 'Love Lady (GC remix)'
Myron 'Get Down (GC remix)'

Dubquixote

Submariner
I believe El-B and Ghost Records make appearances on the first Bingo Beats mix cd (mixed by Zinc) as well as the 1st volume of Dubstep Allstars (mixed by Hatcha).

Beyond that it's all vinyl.

elgato

I just dont know
I've been wondering about this for a little while...was el-b part of groove chronicles? Discogs claims otherwise, but ive heard that he was a member from other sources on the internet...

Logos

Ghosts of my life
elgato said:
I've been wondering about this for a little while...was el-b part of groove chronicles? Discogs claims otherwise, but ive heard that he was a member from other sources on the internet...

Yes

elgato

I just dont know
So what is the deal with groove chronicles? Of whom did they consist? And were their releases generally collaborative efforts or often solo tracks released under the collective name?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
elgato said:
So what is the deal with groove chronicles? Of whom did they consist? And were their releases generally collaborative efforts or often solo tracks released under the collective name?

I think they were basically collaborations - though wouldn't be surprised if El-B did more of the technical side of things cos his general production level is very good...but thats often the way in collabs.

The now-deleted Hyperdub interview with El-B goes into this a bit...says El-B made Stone Cold, or darked it out anyhow, when Noodles went on holiday.

elgato

I just dont know
Interesting stuff. I had always heard that noodles was solely responsible for stone cold, but what does it matter really. What a fucking tune that is, i dont know that there is a better 'dance' record to be found. First time I heard it I was a changed man, all foolish ideas I had had about garage before being exposed to london culture proper just dissipated on the spot! Interestingly, on the new represses of the old GC 12s Noodles is credited as 'Executive Producer', although what that means, i dont really know

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=581527

elgato

I just dont know
Logos said:
The now-deleted Hyperdub interview with El-B goes into this a bit...says El-B made Stone Cold, or darked it out anyhow, when Noodles went on holiday.

Where did all the content on hyperdub go?! Its so devastating, all those mixes and interviews I just wish I had copies of now!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
elgato said:
Interesting stuff. I had always heard that noodles was solely responsible for stone cold...

Groove Chronicles, Ghost, El-Tuff: the link between these three great ukg production outfits is El-B.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I loved the Groove Chronicles stuff but, personally, I always consider El-B's best work to be his remixes.
Make sure you check out:

1) Mutiny - The Virus (El-B Vocal Dub) - VC
2) Pink - You Make Me Sick (El-B Vocal Dub) - LaFace
3) Angie Stone - Brotha (El-B's Club Rub) - J Records
4) Zed Bias - Time Out (El B Mix) - Locked On
5) Kosheen - (Slip & Slide) Suicide (El-B Dub) - Moksha

The Dancehall EP, Ghetto Girl on Scorpion Records and the El-Breaks series are all winners, but my all-time fave is his last(?) release as Ghost, Buck & Bury.

Last edited:

spotrusha

in the new hip-hop connection i see ads for a Ghost lp, and you guys are saying he does hip-hop now, is this him possibly?

boomnoise

♫
the hip hop ghost is a uk hip hop guy, unrelated.

as far as buck and bury goes, look out for a future tempa release including the original

dave, thanks for that list. couple of those remixes i didn't know exist. picked up the mutiny remixes for 2euro in berlin recently. stone cold classic.