Ambient house, noise, etc.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
I've found myself thoroughly enjoying dreamier sounding ambient and noise (and even metal for that matter) music lately. The Orb, Global Communication, Fennesz, Jesu, Pelican, etc. Any recommendations?

Don Rosco

There's an awesome ambient thread around here somewhere
Edit: Here you go

Right now, i'm digging Steve Roden and Keith Fullerton Whitman. And E.A.R., always E.A.R...

Last edited:

throughsilver

BrokenFist said:
I've found myself thoroughly enjoying dreamier sounding ambient and noise (and even metal for that matter) music lately. The Orb, Global Communication, Fennesz, Jesu, Pelican, etc. Any recommendations?
In terms of dreamy stuff with a bit of an edge, go for My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, as well as Manual's Isares EP. The latter is something that tends to get slept on (no pun intended) in my experience, but has some real beauty on there; be sure to check out the song called 'Wake'.

Weirdly, the first cLOUDDEAD full-length (or collection of singles or whatever it was) has a really dreamlike feel to it. Inbetween the bizarro rhymes and solvent-abuse beats, there are random swathes of gorgeous noise. Also on a Rap(esque) tip would be Doseone's album with Boom Bip.

For noisier stuff, Xinlisupreme are a pretty extreme end of the road for the Jesu aesthetic. I would normally recommend some Neurosis when people start talking about Pelican, but that might not be so apt in this situation. I might suggest a leap of faith into similar beauty-through-noise as Xinli with Through Silver In Blood, which mixes uneasy, layered ambience with trancelike, repetitive, but very heavy, sequences. It's something of an alternate reality for Jesu's Justin Broadrick at that time, if he was a crusty hippy from the Bay Area.

Of more direct comparison to the current (and admittedly surprising) trend for beauty-Metal is Oceanic by Isis, but you're most likely already familiar with that. I'll say Kayo Dot, then, as they represent the current logical conclusion of beauty within Metal. They spend most of their time sounding like an incredibly spaced-out Jeff Buckley. Get the debut, Choirs Of The Eye, to begin with and see what you reckon.

Oh yeah, and be sure to get Flood by Boris. An hour-long song divided into four tracks, it is really repetitive, mellow and potentially trancey (depending on how fantasy prone you are), with a very gradual build into heaviness for the conclusion.

DJ PIMP

Gas and Shuttle 358 are my faves in the dreamy drifty department.

The new Klimek album 'music to fall asleep' is nice...

viktorvaughn

For ambient/blunted house beats i love Susuma Yakota's 'Grinning Cat' and especially 'Sakura'. The first has a few more beats, whilst the second is very chill, not proper proper ambient in the sense that its just sounds in the background but gorgeous rolling and swelling sounds.

Noise-wise im loving Alex Empire Vs Merzbow at CBGBs NY in 1998. Its cool cos theres the noise of Merzbow overlaid with some bad ass techno-ish beats by Empire.

For proper hardcore noise Merzobw Kim Cascone is quite 'challenging' as is 'about this product'.

a few things come to mind
-growing-
(brooklyn neodrone buisness, very good, esp 'his return' and 'the soul of the rainbow...')

-rafael toral-
(this guy has many records, the best one ive heard is 'violence of discovery and the calm of acceptance, a classic! and made soley with guitar feedback and pedals, incredible)

-burzum-
(the maker of black metals most acessable and enjoyable record (politics aside) 'filosophem'

-brian eno-
(music for airpots, music for films, on land etc)

-ulver-
(black metal to down tempo electronics, very strange output, but with some incredible records, esp. kveldsfanger (acoustic black metal, sort of) and this one dedicated to william blake (forgetting the name)

-dettinger-
some of his techno is on the edge of ambient, nice spaces in there...

thats a start...

ps- my first post here, been enjoying this board, nice one!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Deathprod- my mate's absolutely obsessed with this guy, like Arctic Circle drone-ambient, meditation music (quite grim in texture tho)-- "Morals And Dogma" is pretty ace

Philip Jeck- broken vinyl spun into drizzles of crippled memories... by turns disturbing and beautiful -- "7" is good, tho I suspect all his stuff is of high quality....

I've always liked jan jeneliks stuff especially farben, it's prolly pretty "old hat" to a lot of you guy's but still does it for me. The label kranky also puts out a lot of nice stuff.