new Booka Shade album

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Is it out yet? I think the release date was meant to be the 12th but no sign of it on Boomkat, maybe they're just not stocking it.

S

simon silverdollar

boomkat never stock get physical stuff do they? i've never found any get physical stuff i'm looking for there anyway.

looking forward the new booka shade: the last album straddled that tricksy line between dancefloor listening and home-listening so well.

S

simon silverdollar

i think kompakt mp3 will stock it, so it'll be cheap there, but no lovely artwork, of course.

Leo

it's out...i saw it in nyc stores (other music, tower) this past weekend, eager to hear.

DJ PIMP

Its been on Beatport for a wee while. High rotation at Chateau Bleep.

That Pitchfork review nails it. Early 90s trance innocence/optimism filtered through refined techno/electro and distilled to an essence. You'd have to be the grumpiest of gravers not to enjoy it.

Worth hearing just for the production.

Last edited:

vache

bleep said:
Its been on Beatport for a wee while. High rotation at Chateau Bleep.

That Pitchfork review nails it. Early 90s trance innocence/optimism filtered through refined techno/electro and distilled to an essence. You'd have to be the grumpiest of gravers not to enjoy it.

Worth hearing just for the production.

EMusic has it. I'm not pimping their site or anything, but they do have that nice 50 tracks for free promotion...

Tim F

"That Pitchfork review nails it."

Thanks.

The album was supposed to be released internationally about a week or so ago I think, but i haven't seen it around. iTunes seem to have it - the album pic flashes up at me every time I'm playing any random Booka Shade track.

Simon I really liked <i>Memento</i> too, but the new album is better. i think you'll like it a lot.

DavidD

can't be stopped
love that artwork.

B000EQHID2.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53136922_.jpg

S

simon silverdollar

what do people think of the get physical 4th anniversary comp? i'm a bit disappointed with it, especially after the awesome 2nd anniversary one. it's still great, of course, but it sounds like get physical re getting a bit harder and more minimal, which kind of negates what was so great about them to begin with.

Tim F

I think a lot of the issues with the 4th Anniversary comp are down to the sequencing - the mix veers all over the place, and doesn't really build momentum, and a lot of the best tracks like Chelonis R Jones' "La Bateau Ivre" or Fuckpony's "Ride The Pony" are given barely a minute to win you over. They should have dropped about six or so tracks and let the remainder play out longer, and sequence them with some sort of narrative structure in mind. M.A.N.D.Y's <i>Body Language</i> set from last year covers basically the same ground is much more sucessful. Which is funny because if I concentrate on the individual tracks on the 4th Anniversary mix they're almost all great.

I don't know if Get Physical are getting harder necessarily - see the above tracks and Jona's gorgeous "Yellowstone", for example - but i agree that it's hard to beat the deep disco bliss of stuff like "Freemind" and "Our World (Our Music)".

In a funny way <i>Movements</i> is perhaps a better overview of the current Get Physical sound than the 4th Anniversary Mix is.

BTW this reminds me, there's a <i>Body Language 2</I> mix coming out! Tracklisting:

Body Language Vol. 2
01. The other people place - Let me be me
02. Stella - Extralife (DJ Naughty Remix)
03. Einzelkind - Marsha
04. Tensnake - Around the house
05. Spektrum - Horny Pony (Barlz E Syntho Mix)
06. Chicken Lips - Sweet Cow (Chicken Lips Zeefunkt Mix)
07. Audio Soul Project - Reality Check
08. DJ T. vs Booka Shade - Played Runner
09. Theo Parrish - Falling Up (Carl Graig Remix)
10. Tiefschwarz - Damage (M.A.N.D.Y. Dub Mix)
11. Trickski - Sweat (Instrumental Mix)
12. Gui Boratto - Arquipelago
13. Discemi - Tango or Cash
14. Serge Santiago - Atto D'amore Dub
15. Tahiti 80 - Big Day (Booka Shade Dub Remix)
16. Ricardo Villalobos - What you say is more that I can say
17. Heiko Voss - I think about you (DJ Koze Mix)

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Aha just ordered it from Amazon marketplace for £10 (will take two weeks though, oh well...)

D84

I just got this yesterday based on the posts here and it's pretty good so far on first listen... Some early Namlook/Fax style pads at the start and some nice bass-lines - some bits remind me a bit of the Metro Area album but in a more abstract german style. And yeah the production is fine...

Mandarine Girl, Pong Pang and the title track stand out for me so far.

The shop also had the new Get Physical comp which I considered buying but am glad I didn't now looking the posts here (I think I've got enough minimal techno).

blunt

shot by both sides
I'm really glad someone has raised this thread back up to the top. I'll admit to finding it a wee bit too derivitive and poppy on the first few listens; Mylo by way of Isolée. And there's no doubt it's accessible - everytime I play it, I get people asking what it is without fail.

But I think what I like about it most is that it works so well as an album, which, I think, is still rare for the genre. The structure and pacing is absolutely spot on.

Stand out track for me has to be "In White Rooms" - it's a facking monster.

It's certainly shaping up to be one of my albums of the year, no question. Anyone else feeling it this much? Or have I just not listened to it enough... ;)

On a similar vibe: I've been absolutely caning the new Perlon collection of late. Especially the "Wheelsucker" and the Cabanne/Marc Leclair tracks. In fact, maybe it's time for a Perlon thread...

dogger

Sweet Virginia
I'm really glad someone has raised this thread back up to the top. I'll admit to finding it a wee bit too derivitive and poppy on the first few listens; Mylo by way of Isolée. And there's no doubt it's accessible - everytime I play it, I get people asking what it is without fail.

But I think what I like about it most is that it works so well as an album, which, I think, is still rare for the genre. The structure and pacing is absolutely spot on.

Stand out track for me has to be "In White Rooms" - it's a facking monster.

It's certainly shaping up to be one of my albums of the year, no question. Anyone else feeling it this much? Or have I just not listened to it enough... ;)

On a similar vibe: I've been absolutely caning the new Perlon collection of late. Especially the "Wheelsucker" and the Cabanne/Marc Leclair tracks. In fact, maybe it's time for a Perlon thread...

i do like the album...but it's a little too neo-trancey for my taste. having said that, 'in white rooms' is killer - and very neo-trancey! the remixes are good too.

but PERLON....now that i really do like! crucial article by man like sherburne in groove (auf deutsch, naturlich) http://www.groove.de/. his basic point - that perlon has shaped the current cutting edge sound of minimal more than any other label - seems pretty indisputable. all the suPERLONgevity comps i have (2, 3 and 4) are outstanding, and their artists are a who's who of minimal producers. what's interesting about the new comp is that a lot of the tracks sound very villalobos-y, which kinda goes against something Tim Finney wrote somewhere (ilx??) about riccardo being an anomaly, and not fully integrated into "the scene". in fact, as sherburne's article points out, the ethos of the label is very collectively orientated, so it's hard NOT to see villalobos as a key player/influencer in the very heart of the scene; AND of course he's a regular performer at berghain, minimal's holy temple...which is all good news, seeing as he's undoubtedly one of its most inventive producers....

Tim F

Did I? I actually made a post on one of the numerous ILM threads on Villalobos saying that I thought all of <i>Superlongevity 3</i> could pass for Villalobos tracks and I don't see it to be particularly helpful to single him out as an autuer when it's not like the rest of Perlon (plus Mobilee, Einmaleins, Guido Schneider etc.) aren't doing stuff that's just as bizarre. I said something like "I still think it makes more sense to talk about this music in terms of label aesthetics and networks of producers rather than single artists.

Haven't heard the new Perlon comp so can't compare.

Certainly I feel that there's something about discourse surrounding Villalobos which tends to paint him as an anomaly, an autuer, above and beyond "the scene" rather than a member in it. It's partly justified - his sound is pretty distinctive and as a producer he's at least first among equals - but I think a lot of it is driven by a need to have a hero: Villalobos encapsulates and exemplifies a certain aesthetic that a lot of people can relate to without needing or wanting to engage in european dance music more broadly. Crucially, he's the probably the least "electro-house" producer in the entire scene.

The thing about critical discourses is that they're seductive even when you disagree with them! I catch myself thinking of Ricardo as an "auteur" now, except that I put in inverted commas where others might be happy to leave them out.

Still loving <i>Movements</i> by the way!

swears

preppy-kei
I don't reckon Booka's trancey, too much bounce. It's got that little funky edge you had with Detroit techno. I think it's good that the Minimal stuff's getting a bit more accessible, I suppose I'm gonna have to wait another couple of years until Liverpool catches up to this, though. I'd love to put on a minimal club night up here, but I know nobody'd turn up. It'd be like putting on an electro night in '99.