BROKEN BEAT - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I thought I'll start this one even though I don't know the major players and so on but yeah lets go...

well I see Co-Op's on Sunday - does anyone know if it has a dress code or whatever? also when exactly are Bugz In Da Attic coming out with the debut LP?

gumdrops

im totally out of the loop with broken beat. i dont think the bugz album is coming for a while though. theyve put out quite a few singles but the album seems to keep getting pushed back. hopefully its better than the last new sector movements album cos that was pretty dissapointing.

tox

Factory Girl
Been waiting for this new Bugz album for time. Is it ever gonna drop? Gilles P played a new track the other evening, which was actually a little disappointing. Much as I love the new live percussion and polished sound, there's nothing like a crunchy Seiji beat, and I kind of miss that.

Not really in the loop on Broken any more. People are still spinning old 4Hero and DKD around here. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it a little more when I'm back in the UK.

Til then, it seems Goya have finally sorted out their mp3 shop, so lots of Broken bits and pieces over at http://www.goyamusic.com/shop/catalogue.jsp

tox

Factory Girl
Just thought I'd point people in the direction of this week's Worldwide show as Bugz in the Attic are in the studio. Haven't heard the show yet myself - will edit this with opinions when I have though.

Tracklisting looks nice... hear it over at the BBC 's page.

tate

Brown Sugar
The Bugz album was scheduled for release today. What do people here have to say, if anything? "Move Aside" is an old tune, but I probably love it as much as any other vocal track I've heard this year. Anyone enter the remix competition? Nice acapella.

tox

Factory Girl
Aside from the obvious singles, I love the two 80s sounding tracks which come after the skit in the middle. "Consequences" is one HOT summer track.

For an album coming from a "proper" dance act, its suprisingly consistant, with very little filler in my opinion. Nothing amazing, but I'm having fun listening to it!

gumdrops

heard the bugz album only once, but i like the move aside single, sounds like amerie and beyonces rich harrison songs but better and more songful (i read they were trying to focus on their songwriting more on this album which is why its taken so long, i wouldnt say theyre quite there yet, but its def good) and funkier. a lot of the album sounds quite early 80s in places, kinda zap-ish here and there. its quite basement jaxx overall. didnt hear much broken beat on there though...

this means...

gumdrops said:
heard the bugz album only once, but i like the move aside single, sounds like amerie and beyonces rich harrison songs but better and more songful (i read they were trying to focus on their songwriting more on this album which is why its taken so long, i wouldnt say theyre quite there yet, but its def good) and funkier. a lot of the album sounds quite early 80s in places, kinda zap-ish here and there. its quite basement jaxx overall. didnt hear much broken beat on there though...

I'll wait for about 7 months so its gets to be £5...."quite basement jaxx"?!?!, not much broken beat?!!??!

"ugh" (c) clipse

Paul Hotflush

techno head
I went to a broken beat night last year and was bored out of my mind. Considering I was the first person to play it on Rinse FM (this was in 2003), this opinion shouldn't be dismissed out of hand...

gumdrops

Tactics said:
I'll wait for about 7 months so its gets to be £5...."quite basement jaxx"?!?!, not much broken beat?!!??!

"ugh" (c) clipse

whats wrong with basement jaxxx? dont quote me on the not much broken beat thing, only heard the album once so far. but i dont remember there being much of it on there. the album seemed a lot more electro/digital 80s funk-inspired, with some housey stuff thrown in occasionally. i need to hear it again.

hint

party record with a siren
Dego's supposed to have put out a Nutmeg album on Neroli, although it looked to be more like a collection of the singles so far. Not sure what happened to that because I certainly haven't seen it in shops.

Domu's Return Of The Rogue - did that come out this year, or end of last year? I lose track.

Apart from that, I draw a blank here... the Bugz album is more like a UK Soul / Boogie type affair.

People in the scene seemed to get so worked up about the idea of being pigeonholed, everyone's stopped making music along the lines of those raw Seiji / Bugz / I.G. Culture tracks from 3 or 4 years ago.

tate

Brown Sugar
Domu's Return Of The Rogue - did that come out this year, or end of last year? I lose track.

People in the scene seemed to get so worked up about the idea of being pigeonholed, everyone's stopped making music along the lines of those raw Seiji / Bugz / I.G. Culture tracks from 3 or 4 years ago.
Return of the Rogue was released at the end of Nov 2005, so yeah I'd say it was basically this year. :)

Not broken beat but a few artists sometimes mentioned in relation: Marc Mac's It's Right to be Civil came out this year. Each track constructed around vocal samples and snippets taken from the civil rights movement. I really enjoy this record. Steve Spacek's Space Shift officially came out Oct 2005, but for some reason it feels like a 2006 record to me. J Dilla on the buttons. Exquisite, lush, one of my faves this year. Even further from broken beat, there were also things like DJ Spinna's Intergalactic Soul. Not sure if this helps.

tox

Factory Girl
The new Wunmi record is pretty hot too.

Hardly what I would call Broken Beat, but she did do that wicked Zombie track with BITA.

Traditional crunchy Broken seems to have died a bit of a death sadly :(

gumdrops

revive!

http://www.spinemagazine.com/index....t_per_page=64&category=All&listtype=datefirst

"Broken beat, for instance, used to be the sweatiest, darkest, groove-laden intersection of mashed beats, Dilla esque hip-hop and Brazilian tempos. Remember, Londoners, the gay dancers at the air conditioning-deprived Velvet Rooms? They were having mad fun right? And look at it now - acid jazz all over again if it's not careful."

cant say i ever really thought of it as sweaty or dark, more tasteful and at its best lush... but maybe i just never heard the good stuff (i need to know what the classics in BB are)

same here

revive!

http://www.spinemagazine.com/index....t_per_page=64&category=All&listtype=datefirst

"Broken beat, for instance, used to be the sweatiest, darkest, groove-laden intersection of mashed beats, Dilla esque hip-hop and Brazilian tempos. Remember, Londoners, the gay dancers at the air conditioning-deprived Velvet Rooms? They were having mad fun right? And look at it now - acid jazz all over again if it's not careful."

cant say i ever really thought of it as sweaty or dark, more tasteful and at its best lush... but maybe i just never heard the good stuff (i need to know what the classics in BB are)

in regards to knowing the classics

*clutches Spymusic 12"*

after reading this quote I puffed up my chest and hit the studio. got the basics done (melody, drum patterns, basslines, pads) and then actually sat there baffled thinking 'how the hell do you build this stuff again?' (and I started this thread lol)

I mean its been THAT LONG since I actually heard any BB - where's it gone?

it seems bloody 'funky house' swallowed it

Status
Not open for further replies.