good small labels?

depends what kind of music you like

I like
rephlex
army
terrorrhythm
underground resistance (are they small?)

but if you're into guitar music you won't like any of them

marke

Tumbling Dice
my big fave currently - Memphis Industries

they seem to just hit the spot - Absentee, Fort Lauderdale, Field Music, The Go Team, Pipettes - and the forthcoming Black Neon and Russian Futurists albums are all top quality pop music.

ok - not a grimey dance beat amongst em, but some wonderfully addictive takes on all that we can call quality.

other notables : moshi moshi (though a little hit-n-miss), motive sounds (lots of epic post rock sounds), melodic (the forthcoming outputmessage albuym is pure detroit techno brilliance)

etc etc

mark e
ireallylovemusic

fandango

Tiny Robot
This - http://www.ghostly.com/1.0/artists/outputmessage/index.shtml

outputmessage, mark?

That's a very strange label for him to be releasing on... or perhaps it suggests an indipendent spirit? I'll admit I have skewed, possibly out of proportion feelings here. I genuinely loathed the Melodic sampler I heard, "Tracks For Horses" one decent track (Minotaur Shock) one amusing novelty track (Audiowhore) but the rest felt quite honestly like the most insulting milquetoast bag of abject mediocrity I've heard in maybe the past five years.

Almost enough to put you off music. I sold it rather quickly though, perhaps I was just in a bad mood that week?! :eek:

Right now, the smallest small labels I take an interest in (and these aren't especially tiny) going by quality I've found on them vs. number of releases (like I said, unscientific, I wouldn't consider anything over 100 releases "small" anymore) are probably Monika Enterprise, Max Ernst & Cadenza. I was quite surprised how much of Kitsune's roster I recognised recently after a discogs scan I did (following up on that Stylus artice) so maybe them too but it's not a personal recommendation.

Border Community and Mobilee definitely deserve mention too. A CD compilation/mix from either of them would be very appreciated anytime soon.

Last edited:

marke

Tumbling Dice
hey fandango.

soz missed your reply. yeah tis one and the same outputmessage on melodic.

tis a great lovely ambi-techno album that makes me go all gooey on the inside, sonic references are obvious, but done in such a way you care not.

well i didn't.

agreed re melodic - they are an obtuse little label - but i guess it all down to label boss's groove of the day. i mean alongside outputmessage they are releasing an album by the isles - which is a direct smiths/mozzer soundalike, and the label folks love it, me, i reckon its all reet, but nowt special.

go figure. smiths aoundalikes, and brilliant ambient techno.

tis for this reason i love the label !

m.e/ireallylovemusic

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Time-Lag is great

Siltbreeze has recently gone back into business

PSF

Alchemy

Ecstatic Peace

Wholly Other

load

Numero Group