Smart Drugs/Brain Pills/Turbo Neuro

adruu

This Is It
I'm guessing there isn't one person on here that wouldn't try these out...

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-smartdrugs20dec20,0,5957156.story?coll=la-home-health

Sharper minds
By Melissa Healy

It would be hard to imagine improving on the intelligence of computer engineer Bjoern Stenger, a doctoral candidate at Cambridge University. Yet for several hours, a pill seemed to make him even brainier.

Participating in a research project, Stenger downed a green gelatin cap containing a drug called modafinil. Within an hour, his attention sharpened. So did his memory. He aced a series of mental-agility tests. If his brainpower would normally rate a 10, the drug raised it to 15, he said.

"I was quite focused," said Stenger. "It was also kind of fun."

The age of smart drugs is dawning. Modafinil is just one in an array of brain-boosting medications — some already on pharmacy shelves and others in development — that promise an era of sharper thinking through chemistry.

These drugs may change the way we think. And by doing so, they may change who we are.

Long-haul truckers and Air Force pilots have long popped amphetamines to ward off drowsiness. Generations of college students have swallowed over-the-counter caffeine tablets to get through all-nighters. But such stimulants provide only a temporary edge, and their effect is broad and blunt — they boost the brain by juicing the entire nervous system.

The new mind-enhancing drugs, in contrast, hold the potential for more powerful, more targeted and more lasting improvements in mental acuity. Some of the most promising have reached the stage of testing in human subjects and could become available in the next decade, brain scientists say.

"It's not a question of 'if' anymore. It's just a matter of time," said geneticist Tim Tully, a researcher at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory on Long Island, N.Y., and developer of a compound called HT-0712, which has shown promise as a memory enhancer. The drug soon will be tested in human subjects.

The new brain boosters stem in part from research to develop treatments for Alzheimer's disease, spinal cord injuries, schizophrenia and other conditions. But they also reflect rapid advances in understanding the processes of learning and memory in healthy people.

luka

yeah they sound well good! i'm going to get a job in a lab so i can liberate some supplies.

sufi

lala
i worry bout being too smart already
that's why i keep on with the ganj - keep meself dim like :D

sufi

lala
ganja scientist

ganja%20scientist.gif

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
big piece on Modafinil (wikipedia) and CX717 (mindpixel) in The New Scientist's new number.

Modafinil sounds amazing - no link to the New Scientist article (not available online) - but
Mindhacks has some more on the drug with some links
If that sounds unlikely, think about what is already here. Modafinil has made it possible to have 48 hours of continuous wakefulness with few, if any, ill effects. New classes of sleeping pills are on the horizon that promise to deliver sleep that is deeper and more refreshing than the real thing.

What seems great about Modafinil is that it does not normally hinder sleep; you can still go to sleep when you want to (unlike caffeine).

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
just read the preview at new scientitst...now where can i get my hands on some!?!

wasnt there an interview with colin powell where he said "a lot" of people in washington were using this super speed?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
don't know about powell - but it seems like DARPA/US Army (and I guess the Russians have to be into this as well) is well clued up -

from the Daily Utah (via the BrainEthics blog)

"Neuroscience is the fastest growing area of science, and it is more sensitive than nuclear physics and microbiology," he said.

One of the leaders in neuroscience development is the corporation DARPA, which is currently in the process of developing a "head web," a helmet that conducts non-invasive brain monitoring that could be used to measure brain waves while soldiers are in combat.

Moreno said the government is also working on developing a "war fighter"-a human manipulated by drugs to be a more efficient soldier. The "war fighter" would require less sleep, less protein and could heal itself with the aid of drugs and technology. The war fighters would eventually be replaced by robots, which would be controlled by human soldiers in a bunker somewhere out of harm's way.

Last edited: