This Heat ReR box set

nonightsweats

This just arrived today and I'm completely bowled over by it.

"Deceit" is absolutely stunning. It's a record I've always wanted to love but couldn't due to my perception of it's muddiness but that's all changed now. It's one of those few times I've listened to a remastering treatment on an album I know back to front (Can's "Ege Bamyasi" is another) where I notice new things all the time. It's also far, far rockier than I'd thought possible. "Made Available" just jumps out of the speakers like a mad thing. And "Health and Efficiency" sounds even more visceral amd hypnotic than before. The live cd has some great hard edged moments leavened with surprisingly quiet sections - they really were a terrific live band. And to top it off, the booklet is as complete a document about the band that you could ever wish for.

soundslike1981

Glad to hear it! I'd been feeling a bit silly for ordering it, owning all the elements (barring live disc) given that most remasters = ubercompressions.

soundslike1981

I bet a lot of people will be hearing 'Health & Efficiency' and 'Repeat' for the first time, seems like those were harder to come by in 2001/2002 after the last reissues.

I can't even get my brain around what it would've been like to hear '24 Track Loop' in '79, even with a healthy background in hip dub or sample/loop-based music of the preceding 20 years. I bet the guys in Can were livid they didn't do the same bit ten years earlier. But still--for most ears, even adventurous ones--what a moment it must've been! Even for me, born the next year and immersed in the beat/loop/sample my whole life in one form or another--when I first heard the track at age 19, my ears were certainly altered. I still get a kick out of playing the track for young kids, like giving them their first taste of "Vitamin C," they just literally can't believe it was made years before they were born.

These remasters do sound lovely, and the little bonus disc has a nice little bit & bob--hopefully foretelling. . .