Scissor Sisters.

Woebot

Never having knowingly listened to their music, I just saw an ad on telly last night and discovered that two songs I keep being exposed to involuntarily, one of which i assumed was by Elton John (eugh!) and the other I assumed to be by Franz Ferdiand (that "Simone" drek) were by them. And they've done a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" havent they?

God they're fucking awful!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Pretty much any of their songs could be Robbie Williams, if you imagine him doing the falsetto bit. The really fresh thing about them is........ no, there's nothing. They're crushingly awful, yeah. Observer Music Monthly's band of the year.... hmmm.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Observer Music Monthly's band of the year.... hmmm.

yeah well that mag has sealed my opinion that there is almost nothing good about the observer.
They even printed that spiteful bitter little letter from the guy that wrote their one grime article
he was slagging off john peel with nobrainers like peel was a hippy not a punk and how he was part of the institution and was bad cos he didn't play cockback.
This is of course a paid journalist in his mid 30's writing for an internationally renowned newspaper, not sniffin glue in 77 when most of the grime kids weren't born. Plus the bbc has a whole radio station with plenty of chances to hear grime.
waste of friggin paper.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Band of the year for me.

I'm not sure how your logic is for saying "if it sounds like Elton John, it must be shit" works out -- I'm thinking Benny and the Jets, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, Rocket Man etc. -- but it's true, they do sound like Elton.

And that's a good thing.

When I finally buy some new CDs -- probably in the new year -- they're top of my list.

TUNES, Matt. TUNES. I keep telling you it's all about TUNES! And they've got 'em by the shedload. "Mary" is a solid gold radio 2 classic, it rocks. That new "You're Disgusting" tune is fantastic -- forget shit like ESG, this is the punkfunk you want! In any event, Twist is into The Sisters, so that's game over for you Matt, sorry mate.

Franz Ferdinanc I don't quite buy into. Nice graphics, good performance at the MTV awards, but that middle eight on WIpe Me Out or whatever it is just grates on me. They can come back when they cover:

a) Gang of 4's Armalite Rifle
b) Pete Shelley's HomoSapien
c) World Domination doing Funky Town

I'm a Robbie Williams fan too, partly due to the influence of the boy and my wife, but partly cos he's, y'know, good pop. And I loved that swing thing he did. It's all about how it sounds on the telly.

grimly fiendish

i don't give much of a toss about the scissor sisters - decent, likeable, a bit bland - but that kylie single they wrote kicks ASS in a depeche-mode's-second-album stylee. single of the year ... oh, hang on. no. take me out is single of the year. then staring at the sun. then maybe ewan by the radio dept. so: fourth-best single of the year.

hang on, shit, forgot interstate 5. oh, soddit: it's a good record. that's all that counts.

sufi

lala
d'you reckon they know how much they sound like EJ ? :D
do they do it on purpose?
elton_john_9.jpg

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
grimly fiendish said:
i don't give much of a toss about the scissor sisters - decent, likeable, a bit bland - but that kylie single they wrote kicks ASS in a depeche-mode's-second-album stylee. single of the year ... oh, hang on. no. take me out is single of the year. then staring at the sun. then maybe ewan by the radio dept. so: fourth-best single of the year.
I quite liked the remix they did of the Pet Shop Boys' latest single "Flamboyant", as well. They actually made PSB more disco.

stevienixed

i suffer rock
"Elton John (eugh!)"

!!! As in ts ts ts, not chuk chuk chuk.

They produced the recent Kylie single which I rather enjoy because they injected some much needed sex into her sound again. As much as I like their singles - their sound seems like autoerotic asphyxiation - I couldn't go through the whole record without wanting to slit my wrists.

Franz Ferdinand is the Scottish devil.

john eden

male pale and stale
They are... ok.

I always assumed that their version of "comfortably numb" was subversive in the same way that the Pet Shop Boys' cover of U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" was subversive - cutting out all the stadiumy bits and making it camp(er) and funny.

Not liked anything since though, but the remixes sound cool.

mind_philip

saw the light
Ooh, the worst thing about that song 'Mary' is that it sounds like current Elton John, rather than channeling the ghost of Elton past.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
mms said:
yeah well that mag has sealed my opinion that there is almost nothing good about the observer.
They even printed that spiteful bitter little letter from the guy that wrote their one grime article
he was slagging off john peel with nobrainers like peel was a hippy not a punk and how he was part of the institution and was bad cos he didn't play cockback.
This is of course a paid journalist in his mid 30's writing for an internationally renowned newspaper, not sniffin glue in 77 when most of the grime kids weren't born. Plus the bbc has a whole radio station with plenty of chances to hear grime.
waste of friggin paper.

i actually wrote a response letter in to the OMM last night saying all this, that it doesn't matter who got there 1st out of peel or the OMM coz the blog massive beat them all and that they don't have a great record, anyway - i mean, i've seen no useful coverage of dancehall whasoever.

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
i actually wrote a response letter in to the OMM last night saying all this, that it doesn't matter who got there 1st out of peel or the OMM coz the blog massive beat them all and that they don't have a great record, anyway - i mean, i've seen no useful coverage of dancehall whasoever.

well it's crouch end the magazine isn't it? ;)

scissor sisters, i'm not convinced their tunes are that great, no earworms for me, not compared to something like toxic or milkshake at least. plus there was a massive drop in quality after the comfortably numb single which was just a fantastic idea and i'm so glad they did it. the rest is sort of kids of fame and boring, can you remember any of the fame songs apart from the theme tune?

they look so romo tho don't they?

jimet

the rest is sort of kids of fame

This is so OTM it hurts. I hadn't thought of the comparison. When I first heard them - which was when Peel played the Floyd and SS versions of numb back to back - I was ridiculously excited. But their own compositions are nowhere near as great.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Tenth anniversery of RoMo coming up, donchaknow.

is there gonna be a romos reunited party, you could fit that round a small pub table.

the genre that revelled in ambiguous sexuality, whilst the rest of the world didnt care and thought they were gay all along anyway.

slanderlord

bloody roar
"Comfortably Numb" is great, the album is mostly good (although some of the unreleased tracks are better). That cover of "Take Me Out" on Fluxblog was sorta interesting although you only need to listen to it twice.
The "everything should be more falsetto" remix aesthetic works well for them, mostly because they're smart about choosing the right songs. "Flamboyant" is good, the remix of Bucci Bag's "More Lemonade" is quite good. Don't care for the remix of the Ones' "Superstar" but I've never heard the original, so...