Bowie-Eno Berlin thread

polystyle

And so it seems time for a Bowie/Eno Berlin werks thread

and what all did come from those first Bowie in Berlin releases - Iggy's The Idiot
and the Bowie Eno pieces Low and Heroes -
the commonalities among Dissentians and what legacies there ...

I mean , those Bewlay Brothers productions of Idiot , Low and Heroes ,
because these were all done in a short amount of overall time
once Bowie got his pad , once Brian got into town and they went into Hansa by the Wall were so concentrated on and executed boom boom boom ...
Some same musician core and added players used over these few titles ,
the kick ass rockin of the Sales Brothers
and a good dose of old Berlin Wall wicked ways
from back in 1977 !

henry s

Street Fighting Man
hard to believe the kick-ass rockin' Sales brothers are the sons of this guy!

Soupy_Sales_5.jpg

gek-opel

entered apprentice
As referred to accurately in "Rip It Up..." these albums were key for whole swathes of post punk activity, and in many ways invented much of the 80s tropes that were to follow. Whilst you can point to Krautrock as being the underlying influence for these records, the way they twist a post-60s post-hippy strand into something clearly different is to be noted-- the mixture of rock and electronics whilst not original in and of itself is achieved in a different way...

Influence falls everywhere around that time, from Scott Walker to Magazine, Joy Division, The Associates even less cool acts like Gary Numan and Billy Idol... then all 80s stuff (gated drums sounds! Icicle synths mixed with rocking guitars! ... tho obviously done really tastelessly)

I love these albums especially "Low" and "The Idiot", both evocative of a certain time and place (especially the Wiemar on bad drugs feel of "The Idiot") and also curiously universal... (especially the exquisite fragmented sadness and absurd dislocation of "Low").

Indeed "Low" pretty much nails lyrically a lot of post punk lyrical content to come... the borrowed Ballard trope of cars for a start ("Always Crashing in the Same Car", and also that nervy, depressive feel ("Breaking Glass" et al).

Something which is often missed out is the way these albums still have the feel of Bowie's forays into funk-soul about them, but obviously placed into a new context. That sense of funkiness and rhythmically inventive grooviness is another thing which shifts it from Krautrock in a way (whilst Can were very much afrofunk/James Brown influenced, and others had a certain propulsive motorik funk, Bowie seems to be on a more 70s funk tip) which again points towards the future of funk inflected white-boy art-rock.

Last edited:

polystyle

And considering the Bewlay Brothers had at least reached out and tried to have Neu!'s Apache Beat (motorik) meister Klaus Dinger on these sessions ,
they were maybe one step too far away from rebuilding the group sonic to be around the Dinger beat as opposed to the post -Station To Station rockin funk
the Carlos Alomar -Dennis Davies -George Murray -Roy Young unit had last played with.

As almost always Bowie had ace guitarists and on Low ,The Idiot ,Lust For Life along with Carlos and eventually Fripp - they had Ricky Gardiner
who came from ? and promptly went back to ? after those records & tours ...

Brian's '70's work with both Cluster and Harmonia seemed to have him primed for those musik worlds to carry right over into the new Iggy & Bowie

Remember that first time you heard Sister Midnight ?
well, ok perhaps pretty obscure for some ...
Then how about Bowie's "Sound And Vision" ?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
There is also the possible indirect John Foxx/Ultravox! influence via Eno on these.
Foxx also being a friend (?) of Czukay -
there's a thank you to Foxx on the sleevenotes to "Movies" -
which again has sections pointing to "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts".

From Q Magazine's special on synthpop a year ago,

Electronic stuff was considered to be something you wouldn’t touch,” says Foxx. “It was too close to Pink Floyd, forbidden by Johnny Lydon, declared ungood.” In fact, Ultravox! were post-punk before punk had played itself out. This confused people. Their use of electronics, extended song structures, keyboards and un-punk instruments like violin previewed what Magazine and Wire, as well as Gary Numan and The Human League, would be doing in two years’ time. Equally, a year prior to Kraftwerk’s The Man-Machine, Foxx was exploring the same idea in I Want To Be A Machine, while his alienated Euro-romanticism also pre-empted Bowie’s Berlin trilogy (Foxx recalls Bowie phoning Eno to suggest the collaboration during recording), Foxx hymning the city in The Wild, The Beautiful And The Damned. Most importantly, neither Kraftwerk nor Bowie had yet created anything quite like My Sex’s mix of the electronic and the classical, or as detached as Foxx’s robotic yet romantic chant. “I was very interested in the pull and push of romanticism and alienation,” says Foxx.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Hey, what was the story with the covers of Heroes and The Idiot? They're poses from Egon Schiele paintings or something? Google is not my friend on this one...

_Hugo

Heroes/Idiot covers = Roquairol by Erich Heckel

I'm dubious about a John Foxx influence on these albums. I'd say that in the mid-seventies there were all these people - Bowie, Eno, Foxx included - who were circling around similar ideas drawn in part from the modernism of the early to mid-20th c. It comes through in the fashions (Kraftwerk's Man Machine cover, Bowie's Weimar pinched fedora look, Joy Division overcoats etc), but also in the interest in experimentation (Cage and Stockhausen with an overlay of George Martin) and above all the modernist themes of alienation, suspicion of narrative, form over content etc. I guess this retro-modernism follows on logically from the retro-romanticism of 1968, hippies etc.

polystyle

'So warm and so brown ...'

Nice Hugo
Heckel ! an artist one doesn't hear much about at all ,
usually overshadowed by others from same German Expressionist period.

For me , Low and The Idiot not only combined all those things you mentioned as retro modernism'
, throwing in some W Burroughs ( there was a great Rolling Stone Interview with Bowie & Burroughs)
hipster cred cutups and other ref's along the way -
it was down to the plain ol' surprise and considerable shock of hearing a sonic like Sister Midnight
that informed one that 'this is not pop music as usual'.
Some seriously tense guitars and the 'I dreamed this but is it bad?' lyrics made it seem like a bit forbidden territory you had entered and the door closed behind you ...
And you were IN THERE until the last synth bleats of Mass Production faded away ...

polystyle

the bedroom album

Aha , popped into Virgin MegaS this afternoon
found that series of 33 1/3 books and the one on "LOW" by Hugo Wilcken
' LOW marks the highpoint of this ('Pop went arty') development ,
with it's atmosphere of modernist alienation, it's expressionism, it's eclectic blend of R&B rhythms, electronics, minimalism and process driven techniques, it's suspicion of narrative' Hugo ?

On sale for $8 , snapped it up
along with the Erik Davis Led Zepp one ...
Will be rding the rest of the day