fey?

run_time

been listening a bit to the new Hot Chip and Junior Boys album and they both come across as rather 'fey'. Definitely liking some of it but also find it running v contrary to the majority of my musical palette...interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this and other recommendations

S

simon silverdollar

yeah if anything i find hot chip TOO fey. with the junior boys, what feyness they have is always tempered with a sexy, glamourous edge, so it doesn't get at all bed-sits-and-cardigans-esque.

mind you, i still love the hot chip album, although the initial shock of how fey it is was an obstacle at first.

i think my suspicion of, or difficulties with, feyness is that it's just too close, really. i think i'm incredibly fey, and so fey music is uncomfortably like looking in the mirror.

as regards recommendations, it doesn't come much fey (nor more lovely) than The Pastels.

tate

Brown Sugar
simon silverdollar said:
as regards recommendations, it doesn't come much fey (nor more lovely) than The Pastels.

Have you heard the Kevin Shields/MBV remix of The Pastels' "Cycle"? Very lovely indeed.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Green Gartside pretty much defines "fey", and no right-minded listener would dismiss Scritti Politti...one of the things I liked about the unfairly-ignored Anomie & Bonhomie was the interplay of Green's delicate vocal musings with the "rough" rappers employed on several of the tracks...

pogmaster

Go with the flow
Loved "Last Exit" but it's the feyness of the new JBs that's killing me. It just doesn't seem to gel with the super forced-sounding sexiness. I bet a Todd Edwards remix could wrangle some sweetness out of those vocals

Not really on the same musical page, but I have been rather loving the The Legends' Public Radio (early Cure/New Order low-res xerox with swedish fey tweeness)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I don't actually think they're that fey, but this seems to be the thread where they are being discussed... Just got the latest Hot Chip album, having heard about their stuff and thought it sounded great, but would probably be poorly executed, and actually I'm finding "The Warning" to be an Apollonian delight. They're almost like a post house/2step Beach Boys, or as the man Woebot said reminiscent of mid period Beta Band - a great lost band, lost between an indie scene losing any sense of adventure and an experimental/the wire scene fetishising obscurity for its own sake. I really hope the same fate doesn't happen to Hot Chip, who remind me of The Beta Band largely cos of their ability to write happy sounding modern songs with an awareness of black music, whilst containing delightfully incongruous, frequently miserabilist lyrical content. Why wasn't "boys from school" a massive hit??? Its surely as melodic as any Coldplay song for Christ's sake, has both delectable harmonies and jacking house beats and synth-funk guitars...

On the matter of their fey-ness, I must say that I find them considerably less so than Junior Boys (at least the JBs first album, I've not heard the second yet). They do sound very geeky vocally, but that's not really a problem when its well executed. Also the 2steppery of a good half the tracks is pretty thrillingly convincing, far more so than that on the JBs first. I also feel they are "along the right track" as far as indie groups go, as having read an interview with them they said they were enjoying Gang Gang Dance and Battles, two other technologically assisted indie-ish groups who are defying the overriding drift towards general U2/Bunnymen worship that appears to have swept through NME approved Rock like a fleet of locusts, stripping the land bare of imagination and perversity.

Last edited: