Top 50 Conservative Rock songs.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzZkNDU5MmViNzVjNzkzMDE3NzNlN2MyZjRjYTk4YjE

This is making me sick to my stomache.

how can he be allowed to interpret songs however he wants? "Janies got a gun" as a pro-gun song? "cult of personality" against state power? "dont tread on me" as a pro-war song?

jesus, he went and read the lyrics and assumed he knew what they meant, without paying attention to the music. i think "janie's got a gun" is a perfect example: the way he sings and the way the song builds shows undeniably that this shooting was a tragedy. id liken it more to a greek tragedy about spiraling vengeance than a fuckin pro-gun song. not too mention many of these songs that are about government are in response to conservative governments.

complete bastardization: Offspring's Why Dont You Get a Job's lyrics "capture a motive force behind welfare reform." Riiiiiiight. That's exactly what they meant.

Someone please tell me this is tongue in cheek. They can have Kid Rock, Creed, Graham Parker, U2, and even Skynyrd, but theyre gonna have to pry Maiden and Cult of Personality out my cold, dead hands. Theres a conservative argument against gun control too.

edit:

That link works for me. here is the link to the print version

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NzZkNDU5MmViNzVjNzkzMDE3NzNlN2MyZjRjYTk4YjE

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
So Maiden referencing Coleridge, an opium munching libertarian anti-industrialist tree hugger is conservative, but the Modern Lovers ("I still love my parents, and I still love the old world") aren't. Interesting.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's not exactly tongue-in-cheek but I think it's definitely intended to wind-up lefty music fans or in fact any music fans who aren't rabid libertarians slightly to the right of Thatcher.

zhao

there are no accidents
what. the. fuck.

a highschool student can see that "Taxman" by the Beatles is a song mocking and criticising the system. this was as far as I got on the article: #2. I think the rest will just piss me off more.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
confucius said:
a highschool student can see that "Taxman" by the Beatles is a song mocking and criticising the system.

Yes and wanting to lower taxes is a right-wing view.

zhao

there are no accidents
and removing the middle line from "We all want to change the world . . . Don’t you know you can count me out?" to fit their purposes is just deplorable

vache

This list is so beyond idiotic that it almost isn't even worth discussing.

This article is fueled by the undaunted ignorance caused by the right's on-going effort to underfund the public schools and promote home-schooling and christian education; it could also be endemic stupidity for which we can't really fault them. The main result is the inability to perceive and understand irony, satire, and ambiguous moral dilemmas.

If thought this was bad, take a look at Tom DeLay's legal fund site that uses a clip from Stephen Colbert's program to bolster their claims that Mr. DeLay is being persecuted in the press. http://www.defenddelay.com/ Just. Don't. Get. It.