ragga / dancehall / jungle

zhao

there are no accidents
moved here from "Questions Afraid to Ask" - because it was getting buried and some of this I really hope someone can clarify -

listening to some wicked classic Cutty Ranks, Congo Natty - and realised I have no understanding of how Ragga is related to early DJ and Dancehall, and how it is related to Jungle.

the story starts with the first wave of digital riddims of the 80s, right? like "Murder She Wrote" and stuff like that?

when exactly did Ragga come up as a distinctive style? it is a primarily vocal style, right? or are there production qualities particular to Ragga which makes it different from other modern reggae? what besides Cutty are some essential early Ragga? and where is Ragga now? is there new shit that I should hear?

did jungle grow out of Ragga? it was mostly a UK thing, right? around early 90s? was they English B-boys taking hiphop and Ragga and messing about?

(on a side note, the "sped up breaks" explanation of the birth of jungle seems strange. to me it's not speeding anything up, more like adding a double-time beat to existing tempo. like replace the dub key jabs with snare... and you get jungle. am I nuts?)

how do the scenes relate? is it like dancehall is big umbrella which includes ragga and other forms?

Ragga and Jungle share lots of territory, but are Raggamuffins down with Beenie and Cecile? Cutty is clearly a very able vocalist, why is he not on any danehall riddims? is he exclusively working with peeps like Bug and Sizzle? if so, is he rebelling against "mainstream" Ja dancehall? while I'm at it, there is no such thing as "mainstream" and "underground" difference/stratification in Ja music is there?

why are there no dancehall/jungle cross-breeds? I mean you hear Elephant Man on Dirty-South hiphop records, why not some ill jungle remixes of Bounty Killer? there are quite a few house-y riddims, why have I NEVER heard ANY jungle/D'n'B flavored riddims????????

it's a lot I know... yes this time I really am CONFUSED. :confused:

autonomicforthepeople said:
I'm not an expert on ragga but I can take a crack at the jungle bits.

Jungle grew out of hardcore, the second phase of rave, when a lot of new influences (hip hop, ragga, dub/reggae, european techno, etc.) began to reshape acid house. Between about 1990 and 1992 the BPMs were gettting faster and new elements that fed into jungle started becoming prominent in the music.

People like Fabio and Grooverider would, apparently, modify the pitch controls on their turntables in order to mix sped-up hip hop instrumentals with house/techno. That led to new sampled breaks-based tracks being made and the 4x4 kick becoming a lot less prominent - another rhythmic possibility rather than the core of it. In hardcore the breaks were typically looped and have a definite start/resoultion cycle every 4 bars. When jungle starts to emerge from hardcore in 1993, the breaks are increasingly dissected and rebuilt. Producers like Remarc would distend breaks across 8, 16 or more bars with various mutations and deferrals.

The ragga influence, as far as I know, comes into hardcore early on with groups like Shut Up and Dance, Ragga Twins, etc. They were bringing UK sound system culture into rave. MCs became increasingly prominent over that period and their patois gets thicker as you get closer to the emergence of jungle. I've got some early recordings where the MC is doing public service announcements and mostly managing the crowd. In jungle from 3 or 4 years later, the MCs are doing very ragga-influenced routines.

You also hear a dub influence in hardcore which becomes a bit less obvious in jungle. Slow basslines (from ragga too) were put beneath the fast breaks. And reggae's chka-chka guitars were first sampled, then remade as synth stabs, and then resequenced into new patterns.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Slothrop said:
Out of interest, when did hardcore / jungle start to take over the pirates, Notting Hill and so on? And what was there before? (Well, okay, I'd figured out what was at Notting Hill before...)

DigitalDjigit said:
Acid house. It was a gradual transition that tracked the music at raves.

DigitalDjigit said:
It most definitely was sped up. At first the breaks were in the 120's bpm just like hip-hop (Rob Base - It takes two) and starting in late 1991 it started speeding up every month so that by late 1992 tracks were all around 160 bpm. Then they realised that you can now play ragga samples without speeding them up since by now the music was exactly twice as fast as dancehall.

Re: dancehall/jungle cross breeds
petergunn said:
there are millions of these. there are some decent comps on Greensleeves that are decent places to start...
2stepfan said:
Yeah, just search ebay for jungle CDs and look for ones from 1994 or 1995 - you will get unlimited amounts of rolling ragga jungle goodness for, literally, pennies.

confucius said:
ofcourse there is an enormous amount of ragga jungle material, what I meant was recent dancehall riddims with jungle flavors.

evergreen

there are many, many jungle versions of Bounty Killer (and others) on the Greensleeves Ragga Jungle comps. if anyone knows of more collections in this vein, i'd love to know.

as for jungle/dnb-flavored riddims, Black Attack from 2004 (i think?) was dnb-esque, though i'm sure that was unintentional.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
evergreen said:
there are many, many jungle versions of Bounty Killer (and others) on the Greensleeves Ragga Jungle comps. if anyone knows of more collections in this vein, i'd love to know.

as for jungle/dnb-flavored riddims, Black Attack from 2004 (i think?) was dnb-esque, though i'm sure that was unintentional.

black attack owed a hell of a lot more to kenny loggins' footloose than jungle.
indian summer is a bit more d&bish, but that was made by japanese people.

Clubberlang

Some answers

“the story starts with the first wave of digital riddims of the 80s, right? like "Murder She Wrote" and stuff like that?”

Technically “Murder She Wrote” is from the early 90s, but the ragga (which basically means digital reggae) story pretty much starts in the mid-80s, yes.

“when exactly did Ragga come up as a distinctive style?”

Never. It was a gradual progression from non-digital dancehall to some digital dancehall to all digital dancehall with a bunch of riddims which are non-digital and some digital at the same time. Dancehall and ragga are pretty much interchangeable descriptors these days.

“it is a primarily vocal style, right?”

Not really. It’s primarily the means of productions which differentiated it from what came before. Note: the rise of digital dancehall mirrors the continuing dominance of deejays, but ragga /= (or is not generally considered to mean) deejays.

“what besides Cutty are some essential early Ragga?”

VP’s Dancehall 101 is a good place to start with early ragga and late pre-digital dancehall stuff.

“and where is Ragga now? is there new shit that I should hear?”

Going strong. There is tons of stuff to hear every week.

“did jungle grow out of Ragga?”

No.

“it was mostly a UK thing, right?”

Yes.

“around early 90s? was they English B-boys taking hiphop and Ragga and messing about?”

There were a lot of former b-boys who got really into rave and hardcore and start incorporating a lot of ragga and hip-hop samples into the music they were making (and occasionally using live singers mostly affiliated with the London ragga/dancehall label Fashion.) Jungle /= ragga or hip samples though.

“(on a side note, the "sped up breaks" explanation of the birth of jungle seems strange. to me it's not speeding anything up, more like adding a double-time beat to existing tempo. like replace the dub key jabs with snare... and you get jungle. am I nuts?)”

The sped up breaks are part of it, but it was also the slow heavy dred bass that distinguished jungle from early forms of rave music.

“how do the scenes relate?”

Jungle and dancehall? Pretty tangeantially. Dancehall and ragga again are pretty much the same thing.

“Cutty is clearly a very able vocalist, why is he not on any dancehall riddims?”

Because he got old/left Jamaica/became less popular in Jamaica/more popular abroad and was replaced by newer stars in Kingston who still live there and are soundsystem regulars and sell more, etc.

“is he exclusively working with peeps like Bug and Sizzle?”

No. He still releases CDs with dancehall producers and he still probably releases the odd 7” in Jamaica. He’s just not much of a factor in the popular world of Jamaican music/soundsystems/labels.

“if so, is he rebelling against "mainstream" JA dancehall?”

I doubt it. Kevin Martin said that Cutty Ranks seemed pretty unimpressed with the tracks he’s done with him and actually tried to get Martin to let him hand them over to get a “real” dancehall mix. So yeah I doubt he’s rebelling.

“why are there no dancehall/jungle cross-breeds?”

There used to be a million and there are still a bunch of newer ragga-jungle stuff (generally with old less popular dancehall stars like Pinchers or Barry Brown.) Check the stuff on Chopstick Dubplate or Jungle Royale.

“there are quite a few house-y riddims, why have I NEVER heard ANY jungle/D'n'B flavored riddims????????”

There were not a lot of jungle-y riddims that came out of Jamaica (jungle didn’t catch on there at all.) The most noteworthy jungle-y riddim is Dave Kelly’s Backyard riddim (which is fantastic.) There is also a great Ninjaman track on either a Steely & Clevie or Sly & Robbie riddim which is pretty dnb-ish.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Clubberlang said:
Dancehall and ragga are pretty much interchangeable descriptors these days.

this sounds like at one point they were NOT interchangeable terms? or am I misunderstanding?

I completely thought ragga was a particular early type of dancehall... partly because I've never heard the term used with recent dancehall... guess that was my main misconception.

thanks for clearing a lot of this up for me. cheers!

mms

sometimes
Clubberlang said:
“why are there no dancehall/jungle cross-breeds?”

there were some ,geniune ones rather than sampling ones - or at least ones agreed on paper between artist and company owning the rights

greensleeves had a jungle side which released a few 12" jungle records
and also fashion records moved towards jungle - most famously on the gun talk by marvelous cain album which had a host of uk and ja guests.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
mms said:
there were some ,geniune ones rather than sampling ones - or at least ones agreed on paper between artist and company owning the rights.

'incredible' by general levy, the release that caused a ruccas with the jungle top dogs was a 'genuine' rather than sampled release.

mms said:
fashion records moved towards jungle - most famously on the gun talk by marvelous cain album which had a host of uk and ja guests.

they set up the short lived jungle fashion records:
http://www.discogs.com/label/Jungle+Fashion+Records

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
And also released Starkey Banton's "Jungle Bungle" - a ragga tune slagging off jungle. :p (which I have yet to get hold of)

reggae in 'inconsistant shocker'!

if i remember correctly 'ragga' was a uk only term, derived from 'raggamuffin' signifying the hardcore (lyrically: guns etc rhythmically: plenty of snare hits) end of the dancehall spectrum- don't think it was used in JA.

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:

Starkey Banton's "Jungle Bungle" is a fascinating juxtaposition in that it attacks jungle music ("One bag of noise and a whole heap a sample/That's something my ear holes can't handle") over a decidedly jungle riddim. Tenor Fly's "Don't Dis The Jungle" uses the same track to defend the new musical form against its traditionalist reggae detractors.

http://www.easystar.com/rev_essential1.html

Logos

Ghosts of my life
confucius said:
(on a side note, the "sped up breaks" explanation of the birth of jungle seems strange. to me it's not speeding anything up, more like adding a double-time beat to existing tempo. like replace the dub key jabs with snare... and you get jungle. am I nuts?)

Jungle didn't emerge out of nothing in 1994. Breaks (which were nearly always sped up from hip hop and funk) started to be added to tunes that were basically house in nature from about 1989 - from the UK, also from New York (Franke Bones, Todd Terry I think too) and some Belgian hardcore had breaks too. Things evolved from there. If you listen to 91-93 reinforced records, basement etc its not at jungle tempo - the tracks are running a lot slower than they were a year or two later. Things just got faster over the years, until you find 94/95 ragga jungle running between 160 and 170 bpm.

The blacker element in UK dance was there from the beginning, and its a very important strand in hardcore, but to be honest I think all the JA acapellas were wickedly convinient sample sources for black and white producers alike. There is nothing really connecting the scenes.

Also you have to remember that 'jungle' is just one name for a music that was a multifaceted yet unified form. Along side 'war for 94' and all the ragga vocals you had 'Angel', 'Kemistry' 'Renegade Snares', 'Open Your Mind', 'Shot in the Dark' - loads of producers all operating with the same parameters musically but all coming with something different.

Althoug there are lots of contributing strands, the hardcore continuum (harcore>>jungle>>etc etc) would not have happened without acid house. Thats the ground zero - its where all the key players, grooverider, fabio, doc scott, and so many more all got going, through DJing acid house and raving to it.

Last edited:
matt b said:

if i remember correctly 'ragga' was a uk only term, derived from 'raggamuffin' signifying the hardcore (lyrically: guns etc rhythmically: plenty of snare hits) end of the dancehall spectrum- don't think it was used in JA.

yeah i think the raggamuffin tag is to do with slackness and gun talk, i think it got shortened to ragga everywhere.

my reason for saying this is after going into dub vendor (west london reggae shop) and telling the guy i wanted new dancehall 45s with hard rhythms and aggressive vocals, and he said "you want to check out the new ragga tunes, yes?"

so he was definitely part of the JA music scene and calling it ragga (although he could've been english)