Rhythm and Sound last night at pp

mms

sometimes
plastic people last night; rhythm and sound djs wiv tikiman and another toaster were really amazing.
they have the benefit of years of experience building sets and techno tracks and their approach to reggae djing seems to be a bit like this.
They're excellent at building sets changing the sound at the point of maximum intensity and picking tunes that kinda mirror records and periods in house music and techno, they seem well aware of the function of dub and dancehall, bass pressure and drums in dance music.
It makes a right difference from a more trad selector, where the music is usually of a more religious, straight ahead style, the benefits of loving something but not being locked into it. they weren't scared of dropping more abstract electronic reggae and their own productions into the mix too and it just made it alot better.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Awwww, I bet that was fabulous... would love to see 'em.

Excellent point about how they construct reggae (loosely) sets in the manner of techno sets... compare and contrast with the forthcoming dancehall mix from me and Eden...

mms

sometimes
yeah it was fascinating and bloody enjoyable, comparing and contrasting that to hearing a fairly bangin set from miss kitten on friday (nuts and bolts european techno with bits and pieces like 'firestarter') i know which one i enjoyed more.

they played version into version but when the whole thing got to a maximum trance they basically banged in something a bit more rhythmically intense, or something with a rib shaking bassline, exposing reggae's possibilties as dance music and also as music that can create really dense atmospheres and textures, which is basically what their own productions are about.

the tunes they played were more 80's dancehall stuff, things with digi basslines and drum machines, it was this kind of thing that must have touched upon guys like bobby konders from massive b when he did nu groove tunes, and of course all that sheffield /bradford crew in the late 80's.