RYAN ADAMS, any love?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I always found him to be a pretentious, pretty-boy twat, and kinda like the Frankenstein monster created by MOJO readers..I completely had no interest in this 'legend', until a mate dropped over the LOVE IS HELL Part2 CD>..Yeah, I kinda dig-it, very Neil Young/Big Star/Velvet Underground type 'transcendent rock' good songs, playing and he has a pretty good voice. I guess this guy delivers what Evan Dando or Booby Gillespie never could..Curious to know if any of you heads like this stuff, and could recommend some stuff for this here n00b.

shudder

meh... couldn't stand him.. too much 'sincerity' in the vox..

"and afterall.... you're my woonderwaaaaal"

please.

tox

Factory Girl
I liked Whiskeytown and I like solo Ryan Adams.

There's something pretty special about people who just churn out music and I'd put Ryan Adams in that bracket along with Madlib, Matthew Herbert, the Neptunes and Beck. Not all of his stuff is to my taste, but I have respect for people with that level of creativity.

If you're looking for more Ryan Adams, I'd recommend Strangers Almanac and Pneumonia by Whiskeytown.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
seems like the music of Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown (like that of Bobby Gillespie/Primal Scream) can't be detached from the overall wank-ness of the individual...so what?...why should I care what Ryan Adams (or any musician, for that matter) is really like?...it's not like I hang with them, or even have a ghost of a chance to meet them...in fact, I'm sure it could be proven that the greatness of music (or any art) is inversely proportional to the disposition of the artist...(I even consider message board posts to be an art form, which explains why mine tend to be shite, for the most part)...

mr_bottom

keeping it rural
never liked the man and couldn't understand the fuss for ages.

then i heard "houses on the hill" by whiskeytown and loved it, so i bought "strangers almanac" but found it to be predominantly pudding.

was pretty disappointed, a lot of it sounds like a poor imitation of his big brother bryan.