Marinetti

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Yesterday I read that in 1912 Marinetti brought the first exhibition of Futurism to London, and when it got a bad review he sent some henchmen to the house of the critic to beat him up. Does anyone know anything about this?

John Doe

I don't about a critic getting beaten up, but on that tour did the Futurists perform with their Intonaromuri (Noise Intoners), creating their 'Art of Noises'? Their concerts - the forerunners of electronic music I s'pose - provoked outrage and riots wherever they went.

Ah - them were t'days...

A bad review!! According to Paige Reynolds, an avalanche of hostile press greeted the exhibition:

The ascendancy of promotional culture may be one of the reasons the artists and writers who founded vorticism were initially infatuated with F. T. Marinetti when he brought his art publicity tactics to London in 1910. Marinetti, the leader of the Italian futurists, had been the first avant-gardist to use commercial promotional techniques such as newspaper placements, saturation advertising, and whistle-stop tours in an effort to provoke the masses into an engagement with art. In March 1912, when Marinetti staged the first futurist exhibit at London's Sackville Gallery, it was clear that these tactics had enabled him to successfully place his Italian avant-garde movement at the forefront of the British art scene. The press generated over 350 articles in response to this exhibit, most of which were hostile, and over 40,000 people trouped through this "nightmare exhibition"​

That's a lot of beating up, then. Maybe future pal Mussolini was part of Marinetti's "henchmen entourage."

your deplorable Ruskin, whom I
intend to make utterly ridiculous in
your eyes ... With his sick dream of a
primitive pastoral life, with his
hatred of the machine, of steam and
electricity, this maniac for antique
simplicity resembles a man who, in
full maturity, wants to sleep in his
cot again and drink at the breasts of
a nurse now grown old.
from 'Un Discours Futuriste aux Anglais', a lecture F T Marinetti delivered in London, 1910.

Musica Futurista: The Art Of Noises
LTM2401F.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
yes yes they romanticised violence like 12 year-olds but most likely made up a lot more stories while boasting to their friends than what actually took place.

i used to be really into them myself when I was a wee little industrial-goth-punk... made several paintings in the simultaneous style while listening to Laibach and Nitzer Ebb. now I realise that it was a silly romanticisation of a bunch of silly ideas of a group of silly macho assholes who romanticised technology and war.

Marinetti was Mussolini's favorite media person. and after enlisting in WW2, because "war is the real cleanser of the world, and art should be forgotten as part of the past", over half of the group died - I wonder if any realisations dawned upon any of them as they lay in the trenches dying with a piece of shrapnel stuck in their gut?

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Did a bit of library research today and I discovered the story was misreported. Actually it happened to this war correspondent and ex-soldier called Captain Francis McCullagh, who'd given a lecture criticising Italy's recent military conduct. It was nothing to do with any art exhibition, except that the Futurism thing in London meant Marinetti was in the right place to go and see McCullagh. Also, no one actually got beaten up, Marinetti just challenged McCullagh to a duel and McCullagh refused. Still a good story though.

zhao

there are no accidents
Ned said:
Did a bit of library research today and I discovered the story was misreported. Actually it happened to this war correspondent and ex-soldier called Captain Francis McCullagh, who'd given a lecture criticising Italy's recent military conduct. It was nothing to do with any art exhibition, except that the Futurism thing in London meant Marinetti was in the right place to go and see McCullagh. Also, no one actually got beaten up, Marinetti just challenged McCullagh to a duel and McCullagh refused. Still a good story though.

right. like I said, juvenile macho assholes.