is eurodisco the final frontier?

bruno

est malade
i've been listening to the current 'cbs top 100' as spiritually guided by i-f - pineapples come on closer, s.c.o.r.t.a pertini dance and a slew of obscure and fantastically ridiculous italo disco tracks, and this isn't hypnotic tango, take a chance, etc but full-on cheesiness. it seems to me the eurodisco precipice is on the horizon! so i ask: how long before sabrina is enshrined? or is the precipice perpetually out of reach (the line is redrawn again and again or another pocket of italo-something is found) and none of this matters?

Last edited:
personally I think there's quite a lot of great italo records and then tons of cheese and while a few people are trying to rehabilitate the cheese, I'm not fooled!

I think it's just a case of people who read that italo is the big thing and got it wrong, in the same way there was an 80s electro revival that got picked up on by soulless people and turned into all the terrible fashion/rock-with-a-drum-machine music.

I dunno though, do YOU like the super-cheesy italo stuff? I can't stand it. depends on your cheese threshold I suppose.
But I do like Stacy Q.......

I think old italo has been pretty comprehensively rinsed out now but there's room for more discoveries I suppose, I still hear one or two great old chicago and detroit records every year that I never knew existed.....

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I've got that hard-Italo stuff ACID-TRAXX by Riccardo Rocchi and some of the ORbert Armani shit that ACV put out..I think it's Chicago stuff, but Italians put it out..ACV also released some Italian hard-booty-acid shit in the early 90s...DOes that count as Euro-disco?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Someone wanna post a mix or something? I'm a lover of disco but not an expert on the Italo side of things.

I remember a tune from 84 or 85 called I like plastic - that was ace sleazy italo discocore...

borderpolice

Edward said:
I think old italo has been pretty comprehensively rinsed out

where in london is that stuff being played then? i have been finding it difficult to hear italo, let alone cosmic, which is quite popular as far afield as japan!

O

Omaar

borderpolice said:
where in london is that stuff being played then? i have been finding it difficult to hear italo, let alone cosmic, which is quite popular as far afield as japan!

What's cosmic? Is that like lindstrom type stuff?

S

simon silverdollar

borderpolice said:

no-disko at Jamm in brixton is a cosmic/italo club.
ewan pearson's Come Shake the Whole club at Cargo plays a quite a bit of lindstromish new-disco.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Morgan Geist's Unclassics comp of a year or so ago was pretty underwhelming, and was met with a collective shrug...seemed to me this was a sign we weren't ready for this sort of revival...

borderpolice

simon silverdollar said:
no-disko at Jamm in brixton is a cosmic/italo club.
ewan pearson's Come Shake the Whole club at Cargo plays a quite a bit of lindstromish new-disco.

thanks very much. i shall check out CStW. used to go to no-disko when it was at woody's. not so much italo there, though often great music. will give it another try, maybe they have changed music policy.

O

Omaar

henry s said:
Morgan Geist's Unclassics comp of a year or so ago was pretty underwhelming, and was met with a collective shrug...seemed to me this was a sign we weren't ready for this sort of revival...

I really like 'Freedom Now' off that, though I wouldn't really bracket it as Italo. 'We can make it' is even more ace.

I'm a fan of some pretty awful Italo. Can't help it. A spanish friend was looking at my ipod recently, she was shocked to find it there. She said she used to dance to it in all the worst clubs when she was a teengaer. :eek:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Morgan Geist's Unclassics comp of a year or so ago was pretty underwhelming, and was met with a collective shrug...seemed to me this was a sign we weren't ready for this sort of revival..."
But he seemed to pick some deliberately off-kilter and (I would say) hard to swallow stuff for that. If a track had a good bassline then some embarrassing rapping or whatever would suddenly come in and spoil the whole thing.

Tim F

<i>Unclassics</i> is worth it for Geist's remix of Dance Reaction's <i>Disco Train</i> alone.

For more obvious italo hit selections (and more consistently enjoyable listens) peeps could try I-F's <i>Mixed Up at the Hague</i> (one of the best mixes ever) or that mix Alexander Robotnik put out about two years ago.

bruno

est malade
^^so was i.

it would be humorous to see vamos a la playa commanding huge amounts on ebay and so on. personally i like eighth wonder i'm not scared and sandra maria magdalena, those are eurodisco, no?

mms

sometimes
henry s said:

some of those were absolutley fantastic as are some of the reissues on ifs label - stuff like charley - spacer woman is unbeatably great as well - absolutley gorgeous in all it's broken english.

there was a coco disco night a very small thing at the social in central that had a few good people come play .

is eighth wonder italo - that was written by the pet shop boys no? strangely lil louie remixed it .. never thought of that as italo - there were a number of these kind of records under the baleric banner too like mandy mandy's them - cute blondes and slightly 'gay' sounding electronics.
that i like plastic track is by marsha raven

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
Edward said:
I dunno though, do YOU like the super-cheesy italo stuff? I can't stand it.
i've played pertini dance 17 times so far, i must like it. and come on closer is amazing, incredibly uplifting.

Tomtefar

The Wikipedia article on Eurodance (here) is pretty accurate, in Sweden almost everybody call it Eurodisco or Eurotechno though.

I use Hi-NRG (like in the Evelyn Thomas song) and Italo-disco interchangeably, does anybody know the difference between the two? The Eight Wonder track is either of the two I would say, but not Maria Magdalena - that's Euro-pop :). There's an old Italian Euro-disco track by Mauro Pilato & Max Monti called Gam Gam which I think is an illuminating example of what Italo-disco had evolved into by the mid-90s, later passing the torch to Eiffel 65, Gigi D'Agostino (L'Amour Toujours is very Italo!) and the like.

Here's some political Euro-disco for your (dis)pleasure. The songs were part of the Swedish Green Party's Youth League's 2004 EU-parliament election campaign (phew!), and thus illustrate that the genre is indeed well and alive; Första Maj (Labour Day) is more Manu Chao than La Bouche though.

This is a very generic Euro-disco song that I ripped off a dj-mix a couple of years ago, if anybody could tell me who's behind it I would be immensely thankful :mad: .