The "Recommend things that sound like. . ." Thread

soundslike1981

Please please please point me to as many things as possible that sound like La Bionda. That Dr. Who synthline, those little Worrell-esque flourishes, the handclaps, the electro-accordian sound, the boy/girl tradeoff vocals, the relaxed disco beat---aural drugs. I could listen to "Wanna be your lover" 10 times straight.

Tomtefar

Seconded. Fabulous tune!

Can I wish too? Ok. I would love to be pointed to tunes akin to Yarbrough & Peoples' Don't Stop the Music and Ednah Holt's Serious, Sirius Space Party.
Thanks in advance.

Soundslike1981: Sorry, the only tunes I can think of are super-obvious ones like Laid Back's White Horse and Giorgio Moroder's I Wanna Rock You .

O

Omaar

Tomtefar said:
Can I wish too? Ok. I would love to be pointed to tunes akin to Yarbrough & Peoples' Don't Stop the Music

You could try SOS Band. I had that tune mis-tagged as being by the SOS Band.

soundslike1981

Please, please please tell me who (if anyone) carried on the torch from 'Black Saint & The Sinner Lady' or 'Let My Children Hear Music'? My god, sometimes I feel like most of the music I love is actually pretty inconsequential, when I pull out those records. . .

Numbers

soundslike1981 said:
Please, please please tell me who (if anyone) carried on the torch from 'Black Saint & The Sinner Lady' or 'Let My Children Hear Music'? My god, sometimes I feel like most of the music I love is actually pretty inconsequential, when I pull out those records. . .

I have been searching for albums equal in lushness and passion to the "black saint & the sinner lady as well". I won't pretend to be jazz-expert (as I am not), but as far as I found out that album set a standard that few/nobody else touched afterwards.

I can recommend Phil Ranelin - Vibes from the Tribe. It's not at all in the same league of BS&TSL, but Ranelin gives this album a feel that reminds me vaguely of the lushness heard on Mingus' masterpiece. Luckily enough Hefty re-issued this album recently, btw.

Anyway, I liked it quite alot, maybe you will as well.

soundslike1981

Thanks for the recommendation, m99188868. I'll look for it.

Anybody know any smart-sugar gems in the vein of Millenium's 'Begin'? I'm not usually a fan of rock-pop quite that syrupy, but it's produced so expertly and it really is just incredibly catchy and a lot of fun. 70s "AM" pop-rock isn't something in which I'm well versed--maybe liking this album so much means I'd like the genre more than I currently think?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Sorry I cant recommend anything along any of these lines.....

But I got my own question:

Can anyone recommend anything like Infectious Grooves? A genre I call "psychofunk", and a friend told me about a band "Weapon of Choice", but just try googling that.

Thanks.