What's that jungle sample?

Troy

31 Seconds
Does anybody know what that sample is in all those old skool jungle tracks??

It's the one you hear used as part of the percussion. Usually at the beginning of a bar. Sounds like a high pitched voice saying "add up" or something like that. I hear in in LTJ Bukem songs and in the original old skool amen mashups.

Sorry I cant be more descriptive right now. Maybe later I can name a song that has it and that might help.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Sounds like the 'Think' break sampled from Lyn Collins.

Its a male voice which is a part of the breakbeat itself, and the break was always pitched up hence the hi pitched voice.

blissblogger

isn't it james brown saying 'you're bad sister', or a fragment of that

i always think of it as the funky elf hiccuping break

Brokeman

Living Too Late
there are five breakdowns in "think"; four are drum breaks with vocals, one is just the shakers.

the first has the familar "yeah, hoo!" vocals, best known from rob base and dj ez-rock's "it takes two".

the second has a vocal grunt that must be your "add up" one. i always thought it sounded like "father" or "bother" or something. it's much quieter and lower in pitch than the first break's vocals.

the third says "you're bad, hank".

the forth says "you're bad, sister".

the fifth with only the shakers has no vocals.

god bless lyn collins for giving the drummer some!

Troy

31 Seconds
I did some listening over the weekend and didn’t find tons of examples of this ‘percussive sample’ I am talking about. Maybe it’s bigger in my mind than on wax. But I did find a few examples:

* It’s the very first sound you hear on Squarepusher’s “Come on my selector” and it’s all over “Full Rinse”

* If you have Soundmurderer’s excellent “Wired for Sound” CD, then it starts about 3:30 into the first track (some Remarc stuff), and at the very end of track one (Capone’s “Massive”?) and the very beginning of Track 2 (Shy FX’s “Simple Tings?)

* And it’s all over the drums in that first track on LTJ Bukems first Logical Progression CD. The mixed one. Funky Technicians “Airtight (remix)”

A few of these samples are different sounding, but the same idea. I’ve convinced myself that it is just some vocal bit that’s attached to some sampled break. It interests me nonetheless and I am curious as to anybody’s input on the subject (where it was first used, etc...)

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Its definitely part of the break! As Brokeman says there are a few bits of break where vocal shouts are an element, though I know the one you are thinking of.

Have a listen to this: Think excerpt

Then imagine it sped up. It sounds different in the tracks you have mentioned because the artists have pitched it differently, EQd it differently and so on.

An early use of it is in Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock - 'It Takes Two', which is hip hop as you know. In jungle, who knows, some unknown piece of scenius from 1992 or 93 probably.

Last edited:

Troy

31 Seconds
Thanks, Logos!

Thanks, Logos! That is definitely the break I hear. You are the man! (or woman?)

Now... can you identify the other break I hear, the one in the Funky Technician and Remarc tunes mentioned above. I am 85% certain it's a different sample.

(I apologise to all who find this sort of detail tedious...)

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Its the original mix of Airtight that has the vocal tics all over it (just listening to my copy as I type).

On airtight I think its part of the "You're bad sister" bit from the aformentioned Lyn Collins track, but really pitched up and cut off from saying the full thing.

Another part of the think break

I'd post the whole thing up if I could but I've only got the individual parts I cut up on my HD at the moment.

Man airtight sounds so good, you've inspired me to have a little mix now :)