Soca, not soccer

I'm not watching England's first game in the world cup and listening to some London station blasting out incredible soca music from St Lucia, St Vincent etc etc
Really amazing high energy music.
Anybody know where I can learn more, buy records CDs etc?

Don Rosco

I'm no good to you with recommendations of where to buy, but I totally echo the love for Soca. I picked some up in Tobago, just some dodgy CDrs off the street. Machel Montano is a T&T favourite - I'll up his tune 'Craziness' in a bit. It's just one of the most energetic tunes i've ever heard. I love it.

Interestingly enough, in T&T they have a wee offshoot known as Chutney Soca - it's indian flavoured Soca, there's a big Indian population there whose ancestors were brought in as indentured labourers at the time of slavery.

Another strange thing about Soca - the Carribean (well, T&T at least) is one of the most relaxed places i've ever been, yet they listen to the most energetic music going. Bizarre, but strangely fitting.

Edit: Soca!!! 'Craziness' and 'Indian Man' by Denise Belfon for your listening pleasure. Oh yeah, there's a 1xtra show too if you want to hear more and are out of reach of london Soca pirates.

Last edited:

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Just twiddled my way randomly to a pirate radio station playing soca, and it actually reminds me in a way of happy hardcore - so bafflingly fast and dense and cheerful.