Balearic

OK I know balearic refers to a group of islands so balearic music means tunes that were popular in ibiza or whatever, but I like it as a term meaning "tunes that were not made with clubs in mind but were massive in clubs"

is this definition unique to me?

obvious ones:
Manuel Gottsching - E2E4
Waterboys - Whole Of The Moon
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
Ian Dury - spasticus autisticus

Your balearic classics please.

originaldrum

from start till done
i thought balearic was when you were really drunk and your eyesite went blurry and you ended up shockin out to some stupid tune in a top 40 niteclub

Last edited:

Tomtefar

Edward said:
OK I know balearic refers to a group of islands so balearic music means tunes that were popular in ibiza or whatever, but I like it as a term meaning "tunes that were not made with clubs in mind but were massive in clubs"
I have never heard of that definition before but it sounds reasonable. I use the term for:
a.) Tunes that were big at the time (like the ones on this compilation).
b.) Tunes that have a laid-back summery Mediterranean vibe to them (non-dance records for the most part).

For more balearic greatness look no further than the excellent mp3-blog Bumrocks which frequently posts songs in that vein.

"i thought balearic was when you were really drunk and your eyesite went blurry and you ended up shockin out to some stupid tune in a top 40 niteclub"

i like it - 2 bacardi breezers and I go all balearic....

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Tomtefar said:
I have never heard of that definition before but it sounds reasonable. I use the term for:
a.) Tunes that were big at the time (like the ones on this compilation).
b.) Tunes that have a laid-back summery Mediterranean vibe to them (non-dance records for the most part).

For more balearic greatness look no further than the excellent mp3-blog Bumrocks which frequently posts songs in that vein.

I think it was termed that by Nicky Holloway and Danny Rampling after hearing Alfredo DJ at Amnesia in Ibiza, see Sheryl Garratt's book, Adventures in Wonderland, which has a large section on the Ibizan influence on Acid house in the UK.