'good' americans

D7_bohs

In the course of my 'real' work last night, I was forced to be at an Eagles gig here in Dublin, in the course of which thay played a new song, which Henley - i think - said was started after 9/11 and was inspired by 'what we call Dubya's folly' i.e. the war on turrr - i was struck by two things; 1) I bet they don't do that intro in the states and 2) the way in which Americans feel the need to affirm that they are 'good' americans to us euros. last week, at a philosophy conference, a speaker, 50ish East Coast Jewish academic, almost the right wing caricature of a leftie felt the need to do it with his opening remark. I'm guess I can understand a bit why they do it, but it sits strangely with what appears to be the silence of a lot of such people at home - aprt from Susan Sarandon/ Tim Robbins, George Clooney and the Dixie Chicks who else has had the guts to defy Clear Channel and the like and say what they think? (I'm asking actually - if any Americans here can provide other examples, I'd be grateful)

Related to this - does anyone think an anti war Democrat would have a chance in the next election? or would it be '68 all over again, wit ha divided democrat party letting in another Nixon?

mike

Mild Horses
even though its well known by now, but have you've seen this yet?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879

a good and funny example to both your query and to how such events rarely stimulate any significant, or atleast immediate change. Sarandon/ Tim Robbins, George Clooney and the Dixie Chicks dont count either, as they are celebrities, and everyone knows celebrities opinions dont count for anything other than ratings and record sales (just kiddn', but not really).

Try considering active political figures who've actually risked their careers by speaking directly aganst the administrations policies, like John Conyers Jr. or Cynthia McKinney.