4x4 questions

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
First question - am I correct in thinking that it's "four to four" rather than "four by four", or any other way that you might say it?

Second question - where can I hear it? Any mixes or live streams on-line, or maybe a comp/mix I could seek out on torrents.

Any info appreciated.

petergunn

plywood violin
BrokenFist said:
Isn't 4x4 just a generic term for dance music that's structured around a 4/4 beat?

i am no expert on this AT ALL (i got into this shit backwards thru grime), but he's referring to a type of garage... alot of grime 12"s will have the regular grime mix on one side and a "4x4" remix on the other, which, yeah, has the house music style 4/4 kickdrums on every beat. it's a little slicker than most stuff i listen to, but it's really grown on me, especially the stuff D'explicit is doing right now...

gabriel

The Heatwave
wow, my first edit of wikipedia... i can't believe people had allowed "4x4 Garage is a variety of UK garage with a 4/4 time signature" up there as a distinguishing factor for 4x4 garage - what time signature to people think 2 step is in?!

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
presumably there's different definitions but 4 x 4 normally means bangin tekno or house i.e. not garage or breaks. Whether it be dodgy trance or pulverising acid tekno 4 x 4 is what alot of closed minded people can only dance to :D

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
gabriel said:
wow, my first edit of wikipedia... i can't believe people had allowed "4x4 Garage is a variety of UK garage with a 4/4 time signature" up there as a distinguishing factor for 4x4 garage - what time signature to people think 2 step is in?!

Isn't that definition correct, tho? 2 step isn't in 4/4 is it? Isn't that why it's called 2 step? And 4x4, as I understand it, is a new derivation of garage, rather than just 4/4 house or techno of old.

petergunn

plywood violin
ChineseArithmetic said:
Isn't that definition correct, tho? 2 step isn't in 4/4 is it? Isn't that why it's called 2 step? And 4x4, as I understand it, is a new derivation of garage, rather than just 4/4 house or techno of old.

no, a 4/4 time signature simply means there are 4 beats in a bar (as opposed to a having 3 beats in a bar like a waltz= 3/4) and a quarter note gets one beat. It doesn't have anything to do with where the accents are placed within the measure. so, most western pop music (except ballads) is in 4/4 time.

zhao

there are no accidents
2 step still fits in the 4 beats per bar structure. it's like 1-2-1-2.

as does hiphop - it's usually kick on 1 and snare on 3.

some dancehall seem close to 3's though... the BOOM-BAP-BAP, BOOM-BAP-BAP.

what people mean by 4/4 music is dancemusic which has a kick on every beat, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4. i.e. House and Techno.

here is a jacked-up and glitched-out monster of a G4-to the floor mix I did. enjoy:

http://rapidshare.de/files/22807830/dj_Zhao___Operator.zip.html

Troy

31 Seconds
a "4x4" is a piece of lumber you hit tedious people over the head with, preferably in 2/2 time, whilst listening to half-step, 2-step, core-step, or step-core-step.

Cornflake

i know that when they say 4x4 there talking about a newer garage sound that djs have been playing as of late....

and yes 4x4 can mean stuff like house etc with the 4/4 beat but thats not what that subgenre is talking about whatsoever...

example...Plasticman interview....

Before the outbreak of grime, did you use to perform other music like UK garage?
"Yeah, I was a garage DJ for years, UK garage, 2step, a bit of 4X4, not too much, 2step like Zed Bias, El-B, that kind of stuff like DJ Zinc as well, the breaky side of UK garage..."

or try this....you can sample the tunes so you can hear what im trying to explain lol

http://www.ukrecordshop.com/shop/ca...low_Grime_Eski__Dubstep_4X4_page_1_c_271.html

zhao

there are no accidents
Cornflake said:
and yes 4x4 can mean stuff like house etc with the 4/4 beat but thats not what that subgenre is talking about whatsoever...

wasn't aware of this at all! shows you how hip I am :eek:

Cornflake

its a little confusing...if i didnt know about the music i prolly would have thought the exact same thing. Its reletively new in a sense, if you check the dj cameo show from last sunday at the end he does a 4x4 set.

gabriel

The Heatwave
confucius said:
some dancehall seem close to 3's though... the BOOM-BAP-BAP, BOOM-BAP-BAP.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

all dancehall is 4/4... maybe like one or two tunes taht are in 3/4 or 6/8, but basically it's all 4/4

stelfox

Beast of Burden
It's a style that really kicked off around the time that grime was breaking, too, with Narrows being one of the prime movers. As grime was a lot more interesting it didn't really get written about or talked about much. I (in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way) called it "hooligan house" for a while whenever I'd find myself writing about it. Back then it was really common to hear a Narrows track going into Pulse-X by Musical Mobb etc. It was fun as a big, surging up-point in a dj set but I couldn't listen to a lot of it in one go. Blackdown will doubtless be able to tell you more about it than I can. My favourite track in this style was actually Horsepower Productions' mix of New Flesh's Stick & Move

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I'd say 95% of the music we listen to is 4/4 time signature, as described above. Dancehall is almost always 4/4 as is basically every other kind of club music. If you hear a non 4/4 beat that's not a 3/4 waltz it will probably sound quite weird and hard to follow. Breakcore sometimes does 5/4 and other time signatures, which usually sounds very unexpected and fucked up, which is the goal there.

A lot of people use '4 4' and '4 to the floor' interchangably, the latter refers to 4 kick drums per bar, the familiar 'oonce' sound of house, techno etc. '4 by 4' or 4x4 is jargon for UK garage with 4 kickdrums per bar which can be very similar to house but is usally a bit more skippy, often using 12th or 24th note percussion (aka swing) and more pronounced synth basslines sometimes similar to grime.

And yes, some of it is great, I know very little about it as a whole but often play Dexplicit's 'Dexplicit Dubz vol. 1' tune Bullacake, it's a very tight, colorful tune with a SICK bassline, usually gets a big reaction and is a nice tool to pick up the energy of a set with too many dark, moody half stepping grime or dubstep tunes in it. This is one of the things I love about UKG right now, between grime, dubstep and 4x4 you have a real variety of beat patterns available all at the same tempo. You've got the half step minimalism of dubstep and some grime, which can sound quite slow, the bouncier grime tunes with more fast percussion like Dex's Forward and these 4x4 tunes which sound fast but in a different more linear steady way. As a DJ it really gives you a lot more options to lead a dance through different levels of excitement.

Last edited: