new flesh for old's new album 'universally dirty'

gumdrops

anyone else heard this yet? i like new flesh, i admire what they do, ditto for big dada as a whole, and this album is a bit of a grower. its quite an interesting album, their producer part 2 has obviously been listening to grime, dancehall, mainstrean hip hop, uk garage, and hes made it into something thats identifiably his and sonically, quite brilliant at times. i dont think the rappers in new flesh are up to much but theyre not horrendous (a bit rough around the edges though, like theyre not really trying hard enough), but with a lot of the tracks on this, i cant help thinking what the point is as i listen to one track thats like new flesh doing dancehall, another track thats like new flesh doing so solid/early ukg-rap, another track thats like new flesh doing grime, another track.... you get the idea. theyre not mere lightweight 'imitations' - there is a novel, kinda 'precise' (but not mechanical) approach that part 2 has to his production, but i cant help wondering why i would bother listening to this when i could listen to the artists theyre borrowing from. yes, i know this is a tired argument, and im not saying all music must be 'authentic', theres lots of great stuff thats been made by 'outsiders' to scenes/genres, but theres something thats a little too polite about this, a small problem i have with a fair amount of british big dada stuff. theres something lacking in the way of 'extroversion' or attack. yes, you could make the argument that not all hip hop, leftfield or otherwise must all have a high level of aggression, and i would agree (to a point anyway) but theres something a little too 'small'-sounding or non-attitudinal about this.....

mms

sometimes
yeah they were at fwd last night - juice got on the mike for a bit -
the album seems a bit unsure - they take other people's sound and kind loose their own which is a real shame - it's enjoyable but it seems a bit like they ae trying a bit too hard to develop and loose what makes them them.

leftfield hip hop develops from the inside - check the new dabrye two/three album and the excellent sensational meets kouhei albums for proof of that - both shit hot

stelfox

Beast of Burden
probably not surprising, but i'm not feeling this at all. it's just wrong in all the ways mms says and then some. there are some good bits, but most of it falls flat and doesn't work for me. it's more adventurous than most brit-hop, and certainly better than sway or klashnekoff, but still pretty lame

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think the disappointment in them is that Part Two is so obvously talented - and a nice guy - that I find myself wanting to like their output more than I do.
Having said that I heard 'Stick n Move' recently again and was like 'What's this?'.
I personally think he should hook up with TTC, the French lot, they're on Dada as well I reckon, boss collaboration that would be, lol if it hasn't already happened.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I agree with lack of extroversion being one of the major problems in MOST underground hiphop, british or otherwise. Somehow most MCs channel a much more focused energy when talking about guns than anti-guns or whatever. Politically I find a lot of audio gangsterism problematic but as a musician I find it clearly more musically successful and for me, in music, making a song that works comes first.

Surprised you don't like Sway tho stelfox, I think he's pretty sick, manages to avoid a lot of the pitfalls and succeed on his own terms pretty admirably. And I think flow fashion and up your speed are the best responses UKHH have come up with in the face of grime.