the isle of Jersey (uk)

Lichen

A bit like Bermuda

Jersey, one of the Channel Islands is tax-haven, with a strange hybrid English/French culture. Predominantly English. I went to a rich wedding there and found it pretty hideous: lot's of lucre not much taste.

The beaches looked ok and it's pretty in a windswept way.

Most famous for:

Doe-eyed cows that produce yummy milk and cream.

An 80's TV detective called Begerac , played by Jon Nettles, who now stars in Midsomer Murders. (For visual reference to the island Bergerac would be a good place to start. Great theme tune too.)

Being occupied by the Germans during WW2 (other channel islands certainly were, and I think Jersey too)

Sorry if you know this stuff

The movie The Others was set on a channel island btw.

I'm intrigued as to why you're interested. I won't know for a fortnight cause I'm off on holiday any moment now.

sufi

lala
i've been many times & was in guernsey quite recently, i don't think they're technically part of uk
it's like lichen say - nice for a holiday

petergunn

plywood violin
Lichen said:
Jersey, one of the Channel Islands is tax-haven, with a strange hybrid English/French culture. Predominantly English. I went to a rich wedding there and found it pretty hideous: lot's of lucre not much taste.

The beaches looked ok and it's pretty in a windswept way.

Most famous for:

Doe-eyed cows that produce yummy milk and cream.

An 80's TV detective called Begerac , played by Jon Nettles, who now stars in Midsomer Murders. (For visual reference to the island Bergerac would be a good place to start. Great theme tune too.)

Being occupied by the Germans during WW2 (other channel islands certainly were, and I think Jersey too)

Sorry if you know this stuff

The movie The Others was set on a channel island btw.

I'm intrigued as to why you're interested. I won't know for a fortnight cause I'm off on holiday any moment now.

i didn't know any of that (besides the WWII stuff), so thanks!

it came up, because i googled the UK (me and friend were trying to guess how many black people there were in the UK) and in the CIA factbook there was a ma and a list of territories, etc and the channel islands were on there... i had known about the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man, but I had no idea there was a UK island 15 miles from france! it just seemed so weird. in general, i am fascinated by odd geographic locations, small islands being obviously fairly interesting... they are the kind of places it would seem nice to retire to, the isolation would seem comforting, i think... tho, this jersey sounds too bougie for me!

gabriel

The Heatwave
my friend will smith (no, not that one) is from jersey. he's a stand up comic and a lot of his material is about the island and his idyllic/slightly weird childhood there. he's completely obsessed with bergerac, and one of his stage 'tricks' is that he can link any film or actor to an episode of bergerac in 6 moves or less. odd but impressive. and his latest show features a lot of reminiscence about the amateur bands scene on the island in the 80s - which, as you can imagine, is pretty funny and full of big hair. his website is http://www.theotherwillsmith.co.uk/

sixdegrees.jpg

mms

sometimes
my friend lives there funny old place - old as you can imagine - lots of cops and little fun for teenagers.
you can be fairly weaothy there and not have to do an awful lot though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I believe that the Barclay brothers (reclusive billionaires who took the Daily Telegraph off Conrad Black's hands) live on and possibly own one of the smaller channel islands. They were in the news because they were contesting some of the archaic laws of the islands which are still, to some extent, decided by a council of islanders. I think that they wanted their daughter to inherit their fortune and that is forbidden - something like that anyway. Anyone know any more about that?